Coopers Community

Mahogany Porter

Ghost

Does anyone know of or made a recipe for Mahogany Porter using Coopers base? I made one batch of Cascade Mahogany Porter last winter and enjoyed it as a winter beer, but want to be faithful to Coopers!

I grabbed the choc mahog porter when it first hit the shelves, fermented it up and analysed it - gotta keep an eye on the competition :wink:

The bitterness was low for a dark brew, around the 22IBU mark. This is about the same as our Original Series Lager and slightly higher than our International Series Australian Pale Ale. The colour was light, only around that of our Original Series Bitter.

Without knowing what recipe you made the choc mahog porter to,

perhaps try a can of Pale Ale + 1.5kg Dark Malt mixed to 23litres - and add late hops of your choice.

It's in the fermenter now. Used the Pale Ale with Dark malt. Left out finishing hops as I wanted to avoid adding any more bitterness. Spot on Paul, the local brew shop said the colour is the same as Original series bitter just as you said. I know it will tase better because I used 100% Coopers ingredients :lol:

• 2 years later...

Found this recipe, for Porter, any thoughts on the hops? I guess they are dry? This is similar to Paul's recipe except they use C/ Bitter Ale. What hops did you use Paul and how much? The recipe does not mention the volume, is it 23L?

James Squire Porter \t

- Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter

1.7kg Beer Concentrate -

1kg Morgans Chocolate Malt \u2013

2 x 12g of Fuggles Finishing Hops (Standard Method)

Warren

I'm guessing "(standard method)" would be steeping the hop tea bags in hot water for a number of minutes??

From memory, JS Porter doesn't have overt hop aroma. [sideways]

23 litres is likely to be the intended volume.

Archived