Coopers Community

2nd Brew Pale Ale FG?

Willsy

Gday very 'fresh' at this...

put on a coopers pale ale with BE2 800g OG 1030 and took a reading today (Day 6) it was 1001/2. just wondering if thats a bit low and worried the brew wont turn out..... any thoughts?

cheers.

Wiilsy

A true reading of 1.001 or 1.002 is very unlikely if that's everything that was added. My first thoughts are:

1. You may have misread the hydrometer and it was 1.011 or 1.012; or

2. The hydrometer is very poorly calibrated.

Are any of these possible?

BTW, if you mixed Coopers APA with 800g BE2 in 23 litres, my calculation is it should have had an OG of 1.035; an FG near 1.010 with an ABV of around 3.6% (after secondary fermentation).

well i just used some tap water and it read 995,

with the hydrometer calibration, is that something i do or just how they come from the factory.

when i shake it i can hear a rattle?

if any of this helps

thanks anyway, might try another tomorrow

well i just used some tap water and it read 995' date='

with the hydrometer calibration, is that something i do or just how they come from the factory.

when i shake it i can hear a rattle?

if any of this helps

thanks anyway, might try another tomorrow

[/quote']

G'day Willsy, you may find this interesting?

G’day' date=' just a few points for new brewers and hydrometers, hope it is helpful? [img']unsure[/img]
Always calibrate a new hydrometer.

Uses demineralized water at 20C and note the error from 1.000

Coopers hydrometers are plastic and are usually a bit too heavy; so initially reads SG too low.

(This has not been my experience and I have two of them?) There's a small tang on top. Cut off 5mm bits a time until the hydrometer floats up to 1.000.

RowanH2’s needed 1cm cut off. (Mine needed a small washer to add weight?) It originally read 0.996 in 20C pure water.

Test your hydrometer in water at 20 degrees. I have 2 hydrometers' date=' one is glass & the other is one of the plastic ones from the DIY kit. They both give a different reading so I adjust my figures accordingly. The other thing which could affect your readings is the gas in your samples.

I draw off a part sample & discard it. (This very important, due to sediment, I have tested this.)

Then take another sample & shake/stir it until it is flat then take a reading. (Great advice indeed)

Bubbles on the hydro will give a false reading. I have found this has resulted in more accurate readings. [/quote']

Once the hydrometer is floating, give it a spin to “loosen” any CO2 bubbles which maybe sticking to it. CO2 bubbles can cause the hydrometer to float high and give you an incorrect reading.

Be sure the Hydrometer is sitting in the middle of the test tube and not touching the sides. Make sure the test tube is dead level and then read the Hydrometer at the base of the meniscus.

Meniscus explained...

You will see the liquid creep up the side of the hydrometer stem due to surface tension.

You need to measure at the point just below this.

All that being said Hairy's point below is very valid, as long as you know by checking how accurate your hydrometer is!

If you know you can compensate. Don't chase perfection just consistency!

Checking the calibration of your hydrometer will help you determine the correct OG & FG but won't change the alcohol content. For example' date=' if it was out 5 points, then both your OG & FG will be out 5 points. The difference between the two would be the same. However, it is still a good idea to check it so that you can tell that you have reached your expected FG. [/quote']

Cheers. wink

Cheers. wink

Archived