Coopers Community

Hahn Premium Pilsener (formerly lager)

North_Sydney_Bears

Hi guys,

Been quite busy of late, work has been turned upside down due to MH370, dealing with cancellations etc so you have all been spared my insanity for a few weeks.

I had my brother come down for the weekend and he refuses to drink ales outright so had to rule out the sparkling. Usually in that kind of situation I will usually fall back to James boags premium, a nice and tasty beer when I don t have any home brew or no coopers.

There was no boags. So I tried to think back to something similar and I did see what at first glance looked like Hahn premium (something I haven't seen in years) but when I looked at it properly I noticed the label had changed a bit and it is now called a Pilsener.

So I got a couple of cases of it. To my surprise it actually tasted ....nice!. Nicely full bodied, a leveled carbonation and quite hoppy. I googled and found that early last year Chuck decided to go down to the brewery where they made the premium and he found that the hersbruker batch they were using was from the 2008 harvest. So he then changed the recipe a little and changed the name. I must say it was as good a non coopers macro that I have had in oz/

Has anyone else got any thoughts of the new formula?

Hahn Premium was my staple bottled beer back in the day. I think it was always a pilsner but not referred to that on the label.

There is another thread about it on here somewhere. I went back to try it a few months ago and found it still to be a pleasant tasting beer. I hadn't tasted it during its dark days with old hops.

Much better than James Boags. I used to like James Boags Premium but now I think it is fairly average. I don't know if my tastes have changed but I now find it to be a dirty, muddy tasting lager.

I agree Hairy i also think Hahn is a good drop havent tried it lately a 6 pack next weekend might be in order. Also agree about Boags Premium used to think it was a good drop until about 2 years ago i started picking up a little wheat or something i just didnt like about it. Have to admit i like a Boags draught most weeks buy 30 can blocks of that my Amarillo Pale Ale is still Aging and my 2 Lager batches are still to bitter from Extra Tettnang and Hallertau.

Archived