Coopers Community

E-bay auction

Apprentice Brewmaster

Hi Everyone,

I wonder what I would be offered for a 1976 longneck of Melbourne Bitter that hit the deck when we were unloading delivery truck. It has a great dent in it, but contents are still intact. I can put a cap on crooked, can you dent a bottle without breaking it?

Regards, Peter :lol:

• 3 months later...

it is quite unusual to find a beer bottle capped without its contents. i have stumble upon this about twice, but i worked in a bottle-o, where my chances of finding such wonders were high. i have also witnessed beer bottles with caps on them from other beer brands, thankfully not coopers fault.

History:\t0 bids

Yeah, who will spend $1,757.23 for a bottle when with that you can get one of these:

image3.gif

plus one of these:

MiniJet.jpg

and one of these:

Therminator.therm.jpg

and maybe one of these:

waterfilter1.jpeg

for around the same price.

(kieran wipes saliva off the ground and gets back to work)

• 1 month later...
I notice that some of the blank crown seals you buy have faint markings on them from other beer manufacturers. Why is this?

I've not seen this myself but our crown seal supplier (Amcor Closures) produces crown seals and other products for various customers. So what you've noticed may be residual material left in the die from a previous production run. I've left a message with Carlo, our friendly Amcor Sales Manager and if he has an alternative explanation I'll post it.

Cheers, Frank.

I notice that some of the blank crown seals you buy have faint markings on them from other beer manufacturers. Why is this?

I, too, have experienced this. I once had an entire batch that had these faint markings on it, for Toohey's Blue if memory serves!

Oliver

I've since spoken to Carlo from Amcor and he has given me two possible scenarios. If they are definitely our crown seals then the explanation is as follows:

The roller used to print the pattern/logo on the crowns could theoretically retain a faint impression from a previous run. So the crowns seals right at the beginning of the next run may have a very faint "ghost" impression.

Another manufacturer that also supplies the home brew specialty stores, but not through us, has in the past recoated crown seals that were rejected for QA reasons (wrong colour etc). This results in the original print showing through. Carlo told me that Amcor tried this once and it didn't work (because you could see the other logo).

Cheers, Frank.

PS. If anyone has a Coopers Home Brew crown seal with a faint impression of another logo on it, post it into us and we'll send you a can of your favourite brew. Carlo is keen to see one. Please note, this is a once only - first in best dressed :D

Archived