Coopers Community

heferweizen with belle saison?

MichaelJ13

I'm thinking of trying the hefeweizen recipe and was going to do it with wb-06 but after doing some reading it doesn't get a very good wrap. So i was thinking about using the belle saison yeast i rinsed from a saison i just bottled. do you think this would be any good? or should i just go buy some wb-06

err, nope.

I know of two dry yeast manufacturers, Fermentis and Lallemand. There are plenty of instances where their yeast is repackaged. Not saying this is the case with MJs, I just haven't heard of another dry yeast manufacturer around the traps [sideways]

I think i will give the belle saison another go with this one, after all its free [biggrin]. it's a beast this yeast its taken my saison right down to 1.002! I was also thinking of adding the hole 1.5kg of wheat malt and maybe adding a hop tea of either saaz, styrian goldings or willamette. do you think it's a good idea or should i stick to the recipe

err, nope.

I know of two dry yeast manufacturers, Fermentis and Lallemand. There are plenty of instances where their yeast is repackaged. Not saying this is the case with MJs, I just haven't heard of another dry yeast manufacturer around the traps [sideways]

Mangrove Jacks imply it is from their development and manufacturing.

Mangrove Jacks Yeast

"Years of development" and "rigorous Testing and Trailing", nice [lol] [roll]

I don't see any of the MJ literature specifically stating that they were responsible for developing or manufacturing any of this yeast! Maybe I'm not looking hard enough [lol]

*edit* just had a quick read of the detailed information I have a sneaking suspicion that I've already fermented brews with these yeast strains - gimme some of that Workhorse, whatever...

Might be an interesting exercise to cross reference data sheets of the two major dry yeast suppliers with MJs own yeast and see if you come up with any matches [ninja]

I might do that one day.

My LHBS only stock Fermentis and Wyeast and don't stock Lallemand/Danstar. They have started stocking MJs so it gives me another option for dry yeast without having to buy online.

Thanks PB2, I need to be more thorough in future [lol]

FYI, I received an email response from MJ advising that "they make the yeasts with a company in the UK that they use to produce their yeasts". Interesting.

Here is a photo of the back of a Bavarian Wheat packet. Bavarian Wheat pic

This thread triggered my curiosity [lol]

Cheers,

Adz

I'm looking to put this down in about an hour so would love to get some feed back on my recipe before it's too late, i have never done a wheat before and I don't want to end up with something undrinkable.

1 can of coopers wheat beer

1kg liquid wheat malt

500g ldm

20g saaz 5 minute steep

1l starter of belle saison

anything in here that shouldn't be? I was also thinking of adding some dex but not sure

Archived