Coopers Community

Nut Brown Ale Ideas

Lotm

Thinking of doing a Nut Brown Ale atm. Wonder on using EB kit as base. I was thinking of upping the volume and adding a bunch of sweet and nutty malts to balance the kit's bitterness. Thinking of something along these lines:

EB kit

Crystal

Choc malt

Roasted Barley - tiniest amount.

Small amount of Amber malt (mashed) to add nutty biscuitiness.

Light DME

Brown sugar.

Not sure on yeast. Maybe Notto or WY1187 Ringwood Ale.

Please share your thoughts regarding ingredients and quantities. [happy]

Thanks chaps.

My next brew (maybe tommorow) will be a K&B brew. I will be looking to us the OS dark ale kit with some dark crystal and a bit of chocolate malt and LDME with a touch of hallertau as late additions, fermented with Windsor. Who knows... It might turn out nice. It seems these days the keg makes all my beer turn out pretty darn good![cool]

Hi Skookum.

Why don't you have a crack at making a "Cascadian Dark Ale"?

I'm going to have a go at making one in January, so it's ready for our winter here in AUS. The Coopers Dark Ale kit will be what I'm using for the base, with maybe a bit of crystal, Carafa, & hop bombing it as per the recently documented style guidelines. It should make for an interesting beer through aging to see at what point it drinks best.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I did this one recently but I have only just bottled it so it is too early to tell. It did taste quite dry and a bit bitter out of the FV - I'm hoping that will mellow a bit in the bottle.

Kit:\t\tCoopers Original Series Dark Ale Extract 1.7 kg

Fermentables: \t1000 g LDME

\t\t500 g Brown Sugar

\t\t200 g Caramalt

\t\t200 g Chocolate Malt

\t\t100 g Roasted Barley

Volume: \t23 Litres

Hops:\t\t30 g Challenger @ 60 minutes

\t\t10 g Challenger @ 15 minutes

\t\t10 g Fuggles @ 0 minutes\t\t

O.G.\t\t1052

Yeast:\t\tSafale 04

The grains were mashed (sort of) steeping would be equally as good I think.

Possibly more of a porter - I'm not much for style guidelines but I reckon it should be quite drinkable.

Hey Dylan,

That brew of yours sounds like it might be bitter for a while!

The OS dark can is rather bitter by itself, add 30g of hops @ 60mins and whamo[w00t] . 100g of roasted barley might be a bit much[unsure] and could be lending some harsh flavours. I normally only use 50g of RB for a regular sized (21L) batch.

It's all learning Chad,

I don't mind a bit of a bitter but alas I may have overdone it and fully agree on the Roasted Barley. My LHBS crushes the grains for me, the only downside is that they all end up in the one bag and they are impossible to separate. As soon as I got home and reviewed my recipe "inspiration" I knew I had made a mistake.

Time will tell in the tasting. [roll]

Hi DylanE.

If after a period of aging time you find the beer is still too bitter, you can make another brew of low bitterness, ferment it, bottle it, & then blend the bitter beer & the low bitterness beer in the glass to make something much more enjoyable to drink.

Sort of like making yourself a "black & tan" or "shandy". Pour a portion of the bitter beer, & a portion of the not so bitter beer into the same glass.

I'm not sure on exactly what you might brew for the lower bitterness beer, but perhaps something like a lean Coopers Pale Ale brew might do the trick? [unsure]

I've not had to do this before, but I had read of a number of guys suggesting this option on the forum in the past, & it does make good sense. [cool]

Good luck.

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've come up with my recipe. Haven't got it on me, so I hope my memory serves me.

1kg maris otter

100g Choc malt

100g Roasted Barley

150g Light Crystal

150g Victory Malt

250g Brown sugar

2 kg Light DME

40g EKG @ 60

20g Fuggles @ 45

Whirlfloc and nutrient

WY1335 - British Ale II

Filled to 23L