Coopers Community

Cleaning out-the-cupboard & freezer Ale

kieran

I finally made up a brew with the original Coopers Draught malt extract kit that came with my original kit purchase at the Royal Adelaide Show log cabin back in about 1998.

I also used (found it at the back of the cupboard) a can of Brewsier liquid brewing sugar (just corn syrup I think) that I found cheap in the "to be tossed" bin at Bi-Lo about 6 months ago for $2.

I then chucked in a perfectly fine Cascade imperial voyage Pale Ale extract aswell.. just because.

No extra powders (enough sugar and malt in there as it is).

SG 1064 (16% on the Brix scale, so I think that's about it)

I've got some Safale S44 in there (I think) that I got out of a Grumpy's extract because it brews like the buggery and there's no farting around like the coopers yeast (I need the beer in a hurry, my dad is coming over from Adelaide on friday.. and I want to dish him up a Stein from my first keg).

I've got some left over Northern Brewer hop pellets in the freezer that I will dry-hop the green beer with once fermentation has finished.

I pitched the yeast last friday, and I want to be drinking by this saturday. So it will be interesting. I'll lager/dry hop/rack probably tomorrow for 2 days, and then decant into a conditioning keg and gas it for two days.

See what happens - because I have NO idea! It could be a complete disaster, but you never know. It should have enough malt in there to counter the bitterness of both the draught and the pale ale (pale ale alone is 30IBU, and I guess the draught is probably 25-30). Perhaps the aroma from the hops might balance it off a bit too. We'll see.

ciou

kieran

It is in fact.. and I don't know why.

cya

K.

Ps. I had some left over caramalt that I was steeping which I was going to add to the wort as well (after first pounding it for an hour with a rolling pin).. but after 15 minutes on the boil, it smelt like crap so I didn't use it. A bit of a waste of time and grain, but oh well.

Ahhh right. It should have some character then!

Its used by date was 2002.. but I figured, with the other bits in there it should be fine. The yeast is extremely happy with it all, that's for sure. Still vigourous air-lock activity going on.

I was thinking that the SG might be a little higher, but then I looked at your Imperial stout recipe with 3 cans + 1kg dextrose, and thought.. hmmm.. I'm still a bit behind that. Either that or my refractometer reading was wrong.

cya

Kieran

Archived