Coopers Community

Ginger Beer Recipes

Hairy

I am not a huge fan of ginger beer but I need to brew a batch for someone else.

Does anyone have any good recipes they are willing to share for pimping out the Coopers Ginger Beer kit? Or even making GB from scratch without the kit?

I should have paid more attention to all the previous GB threads that I just glossed over [innocent]

I use the coopers base, but I also add extra ginger in a bag along with a cinnamon stick. I add double the sugar that's recommended and I use the demerara sugar as I love the caramelly flavour it gives.

With the extra sugar in there I tend to leave it to ferment for 2 weeks or more. The first brew of it I did, I was a little eager to get it bottled and I lost 7. [crying]

It does taste very sweet if you open just at the 3 weeks stage after bottling, but it does lose that slightly after a while and if it lasts that long.

I think the next time I brew it I will experiment with the type of sugar, I might try just raw sugar this time 'round. Hope this was what you were after!!

The GB base is terrible IMO. THe aftertaste has a foul almost chemical flavour, like those sugar/sweet additive tablets craxy people use, that turned me off it for good. I'm pretty sure, from memory, that it doesn't actually contain ginger.

I'm researching recipes at the moment for my brother. Unfortunately, my Pop didn't pass on his recipe that often resulted in minor explosions under my father bedroom as a kid. I recall a fantastic flavour, though.

Archived