Coopers Community

Apple Cider

AdamJ6

Had a few ciders last nite (been 3 weeks in the bottle) that I brewed with the MJ cider yeast. I used the Black Rock Cider can and 9 litres of Apple and Pear juice. A beautiful drop, lots of Apple and fruit flavours and just a hint of sweetness, not to dry.

Good idea Ben10 with the raspberries, I'll have to try that next time.

Cheers.

Morning Brewers

Temperature control remains an issue so summer is the time for brewing the fruity stuff like the Saison 2 weeks ago.

I cast a batch of cider today - Blackrock with 6 litres of apple juice and 1.5 kg sugar. OG 1066. I was looking for a wine yeast as per Ben10's suggestion but the chapess at the LHBS told me that the champagne yeast under consideration would have produced a very dry to tart cider. Given that SWMBO is more fond of the sweeter things in life (e.g. me) I went for Munton's Gervin GV13. Said to have a reasonable appetite for sugar but not so greedy as to leave a remnant for the girlfriend.

Brewing time about 2 weeks and I intend to keep around the low 20's. Stay tuned. My biggest problem is consumption - I don't drink enough and am running out of bottles!

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Mike

I was looking for a wine yeast as per Ben10's suggestion but the chapess at the LHBS told me that the champagne yeast under consideration would have produced a very dry to tart cider.

Correct, it will. But you will struggle to get a sweet cider in the bottle regardless of the yeast.

• 2 months later...
just thought I'd chime in here..I know this thread has laid dormant for the past few weeks. I'm interested in making a cider. Haven't ever done one before' date=' but I'm sure the missus wouldn't mind me making something more for her tastes [biggrin'].

I would prefer to stay away from kits. They're pretty expensive, but I guess they would make a better brew?

My tastes and the missus tastes are similar. We find Rekordling ciders just too sweet for our liking. But then again, something like Strongbow probably too dry...so we would prefer something in between. I came across this recipe. Interested in the thoughts of others out there. This makes 20 Litres...or just under..

9.6L Apple (Juice)

9.6 Apple & Pear (Juice)

Juice of 2 lemons

1L of Strong Liptons Tea

400gms Honey

Mangrove Jacks Brewing Yeast Cider Yeast M02

1. Steep tea bag in about 1 Litre of boiling water, add juice of lemon and honey. stir honey until dissolved.

2. Cover with cling film and let cool down.

3. Fill fermenter with juices (this should equal 75% apple and 25% pear)

4. Add Honey Lemon tea liquid.

5. Pitch yeast

Primary for 14 days (16-24C)

Comments on the level of sweetness would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil

I put down a scaled down 1.8L version of this on the weekend. Ferment in bottles.

- 850mL clear apple juice (IGA brand)

- 425mL cloudy Apple juice (Beechworth local)

- 425mL pear juice (Goulburn Valley tin)

- 100mL black tea

- 10mL lemon juice

- 36g Beechworth honey

- 20g apple peel

- 3g S-04 ale yeast

Wort temp: 22C

OG: 1052

I did the same with juice and yeast only to get a reference point.

• 3 weeks later...

I bottled the above cider experiment last weekend.

FG: 998

ABV: 7.7%

The sample tasted delicious. Not too dry. Primed with dextrose, will try next weekend when I get home from my bucks party, if I can stomach it.

My fiance will be the primary cider consumer in our house and would prefer a more sessionable cider if possible, therefore watering this one down.

We also decided that we should try a bit of lactose for sweetening and maltodextrine for body, to give more of a beer mouth feel.

Brew #8: C4 Session Cider (3.8L)

Steeped in 500ml boiled water 10 mins:

70g Maltodectrine

70g Lactose

70g Honey

10 x cloves

Small pinch citric acid

Added to demijohn with:

850ml Pear juice (Goulburn Valley can)

2000ml Apple juice (ALDI)

30g Apple peel

Topped up with water to 3.8L (about 400ml)

CL23 Champagne yeast rehydrated (just for fun)

Wort temp: 19C

Wort V: 3.8L

OG: 1050

Considering priming with brown sugar?

Notes: Meant to add 20ml lemon juice, but forgot. Sample taste dominated by honey and presumably the sweetness from the lactose, not what I expected but pleasant enough for sample.

Will be interesting to see what the sweetness and body outcome will be.

• 2 months later...

Archived