Coopers Community

What have I created!?!

RobertB29

Not sure if I've created a monster! Put down a brew on Sunday evening, in the hope it will be ready to bottle come Saturday or Sunday also, but in my infinite wisdom just decided to just throw in a little extra Light Dry Malt, rather than just follow the kit instruction, in an attempt bring up the alcohol %, as well as obviously a more malty taste (which I really enjoy). I am (VERY is an understatement) inexperience brewer so am very interested to see what happens.

So the recipe is as follows:

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Original Lager

1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

1 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

23L of Water

OG was 1042

Kit Yeast, brewing @ 24 degrees C (and keeping it at this temp fairly steadily)

Started a little slow, but checked last night after about 20-22hrs from adding the yeast and is bubble, smelling and brewing like a champion. Quite dark golden in colour than I expect a lager to be (but that was to be expected). Looks good.

Got another 2 days before I remove the Krausen Collar (yep, using the Coopers DIY Beer Kit) and will take another SG reading just out of curiousity.

Just looking for anyones input on what the brew might come out like and an expected ABV % once complete. It'b be bottle priming, so I'm expecting something around the 5-5.5% mark. Just in time for the Grand Final!

Cheers.

Gedday Robert, welcome!

I reckon your brew will turn out fine. I reckon the extra dry malt will be a good thing actually. Just a couple of points though.

An OG of 1042 won't give an ABV of anywhere near 5%, unless it ferments down to 1004 or 1005 or something, which is highly unlikely given the ingredients used. In saying that, those ingredients in 23L would more likely give an OG of around 1046 or 1047, which would get you into the 5% range with an expected FG of around 1010-1012.

Also, it's probably too late for this brew but in future brews I'd be trying to get the temp down more around the 18-20C mark as you won't produce as many esters and other undesired flavours in the beer.

I am new to brewing as well but my last batch of coopers Draught 1kg of enhancer #1 with added Golden syrup(as per a coopers recipe) topped up to 23 litres had an OG of 1.053 but stabilized at 1.016 for 4 days so a high Original SG doesnt always mean a high Alcohol percentage unless I totally stuffed up my brew lol.

Archived