Coopers Community

Ashes Ale

Sorry if it has brought up before, but just wanted clarification on the above recipe in the featured recipes.

In the list of ingredients it says

50g east kent goldings

25 bramling cross

Recipe says 25g east kent boiled for 15 minutes, then add 25g bramling cross and steep for 30 minutes.

further down it states to add after day 3 the remaining bramling cross, but we used all 25g, should this be the remaining 25g of east kent?

Clarification would be much appreciated.

Dave from Kiwiland!!

• 2 months later...

I have just put 250g of crystal malt into 2 litres of cold water and put in the fridge for 24 hrs as the recipe suggests. What I would like to know is why is it a 24 hour cold steep instead of the usual 30 or 40 min hot steep, I wouldn't have thought a cold steep would bring have the desired effect. Can anyone explain the rational?

Thanks for that Hairy. I dislike the astringency I've sometimes had from steeping malts so this should be interesting. I'm also boiling 250g of dried orange peel in 1 litre of water for 10 mins then letting it steep till cold, in order to add some orange citrus bitterness to the beer. I will be using celeia hops and either East Kent Goldings or Aurora as the hop additions. What do you think? Oh yes I will also be using 1.5kg liquid light malt instead of the 1kg of dried malt extract. I also thought of adding 200g of soft dark brown sugar to add some fermentability. Any thoughts please?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I brewed the Ashes ale as described in my last post and tried one after just over a week in the bottle and I'm very pleased with the result. I'll certainly be cold steeping in the future I really think the crystal malt flavour is much better than with a hot steep.

Don't think I can discern any orange flavour at this stage from the dried orange peel though. Maybe the flavours will change after a couple of months maturing. Early signs are very encouraging.

Archived