Coopers Community

Geordie Winter Warmer

MichaelB42

Rather than hijack Douglas1's thread (sorry mate [innocent] ) I'll create my own.

For my next brew I'm going to do the Geordie Winter Warmer kit. From other forums ive discovered it comes out at a bit on the light side at 3.8%abv:

http://www.wilko.com/home-brew/geordie-beer-making-kit-limited-edition-winter-warmer-15kg/invt/0318916

1kg DME: Should I go with light or medium

250g Sugar: I plan on unrefined dark brown sugar for the added flavours as well as abv% boost. Any problem with this should i just go with 250g dex or maybe golden syrup.

50g Roasted Barley. I like the sound of the "roasty bitternes you get in stout" as Hairy described it. Is 50g enough should I use a bit more. I only want to use one grain for the first time I use specialty grains so I can get the hang of the cracking/steeping method

The kit is 1.5kg rather than 1.7kg like the coopers kit's so I'm thinking either I do it a bit short to say 22L instead of 23L or add some more malt extract. Which one?

Hey Michael

A few quick ones:

DME - is the medium DME more of an amber malt? Either of them should be nice but the medium DME sounds like a nice touch, regardless of whether it is an amber malt or just somewhere between light and dark.

Sugar - the dark brown sugar should be fine.

Roasted Barley - it depends on how roasty you want it. You may need a little more for it to stand out amongst the dark malts. If you want just a little roastiness then maybe up it to 100g. You can go higher if you want but there may be some 'roastiness' in the kit already. I don't know what the kit is like.

Volume - either add more malt or reduce the volume. Your choice and both options are fine.

Let us know how you go.

I know you said that you only want to use one type of grain to get used to the process but the process is the same if you use more.

I think some pale Choc malt will go nicely in this, say 200g to start with.

Hey Michael

A few quick ones:

DME - is the medium DME more of an amber malt? Either of them should be nice but the medium DME sounds like a nice touch, regardless of whether it is an amber malt or just somewhere between light and dark.

Roasted Barley - it depends on how roasty you want it. You may need a little more for it to stand out amongst the dark malts. If you want just a little roastiness then maybe up it to 100g. You can go higher if you want but there may be some 'roastiness' in the kit already. I don't know what the kit is like.

Let us know how you go.

The Medium DME I intend to use is this one

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Muntons_500g_Medium_Spraymalt.html#.UdskAtiUEv4

Think I'll go for a 100g of barley to see what It taste like. Another consideration for the moment is shipping costs on internet specialty grain purchases, although I have discovered the only LHBS in London which is on the other side of London to me, more or less in the next county although I do work near there but it's still a trip from where I work to the LHBS - so not exactly local.

I am leaving my current brew in the FV for another two weeks (for a total of four) to try and get the yeast to clear up more of the diacetyls, as I pitched/fermented too hot as I didn't really know any better at the time. So wont be doing the Geordie Warmer for a couple of weeks but will let you know how it goes

Nice piccy phil [cool] - For those of you who dont know a geordie is a norther, specifically from Newcastle, as in their most famous export Newcastle Brown Ale

I have discovered the only LHBS in London

What??? I live about twenty mins drive from three amazing home brew stores, and I'd probably have moved by now if I didn't [lol].

I'm really sorry to hear that Michael, and I guess it's something I take for granted. Best of luck finding a good cheap supplier for all your goodies, because once you hit the grain and hops, you won't brew without them again. [cool]

Nice piccy phil - For those of you who dont know a geordie is a norther, specifically from Newcastle, as in their most famous export Newcastle Brown Ale

But do they know what to do in the case of a hull breach or a warp core overload???

Nice piccy phil - For those of you who dont know a geordie is a norther' date=' specifically from Newcastle, as in their most famous export Newcastle Brown Ale[/quote']

But do they know what to do in the case of a hull breach or a warp core overload???

Yeah, just change the channel [innocent]

Archived