Coopers Community

Hops Pellets

Beeblebrox

I just bought a can of Canadian Blonde concentrate yesterday, as I felt like brewing something I hadn't tried before.

My understanding is that for some this brew may be a bit bland, and need a little something; I was thinking of going with the recommended BE1, which I bought with the can, but also maybe some Hallertau Hops pellets. I've never used pellets before, just the bag; what's the difference in quantity that you would use, and is there anything else I need to consider when using them, such as letting them settle, filtering them out, or containing them in an old stocking or something?

Hey 'Brox

Don't let Chad hear you talking like that. I don't think the kit is bland and as I recall the style doesn't have huge hop characteristics. If it was an APA I'd be looking at 50g for flavour and aroma additions but to stay closer to the Canadian I'd go for 25g in 23 litres.

Also I'd be inclined to go with an American hop but Hallertau is a nice hop and I've used it with the Draught kit for some nice results.

Thanks Scottie, the last three brews I made I used various hops bags - hallertau, saaz, and cascade, and have developed a taste for a bit of hops in my beer.

I may have said bland, but I think I meant more that I like a little bit more hops flavour and aroma in my beer than you get from just doing the k&k strictly following the instructions; sure the hops is there, but it's a bit understated for my taste.

I've never used the pellets before, and thought I'd rather go with that, and buy a 100g bottle than a bunch of small bags; better value for money, and some would say likely to be fresher too.

If I was to go with an American hop instead of Hallertau, what would you recommend?

I always thought the hop teabags contained pellets. Do they contain flowers?

A lot of the American hops are not very subtle, so Hallertau may be a good one for you. I think Saaz would be nice too.

If you want to try a nice US hop that is citrusy but not extreme if you have a gentle hand, then Centennial would be a good choice.

English hops like EKG are quite subtle but maybe not suited to the Canadian Blonde kit.

Thanks Hairy, I think from memory the hops teabags had a sort of grounded up look, so probably somewhere in between pellets and flowers.

I actually busted one open one time when I squeezed a bit too hard, and had bits floating around in my brew for a week. It just looked like chopped up bits of flowers and leaves, possibly a little similar to chopped up cannabis, which I know is a close relative of the hop plant.

I suspect the pellets are a bit more condensed and concentrated, but I could be wrong.

I think I'll go with the Hallertau, not for any other reason than the fact that I've tried it before and found I liked it, and sometimes it's better to go with what you know.

Would you agree with Scottie so far as quantity; 25g in 23 litres?

Would you agree with Scottie so far as quantity; 25g in 23 litres?

Yeah, if I am unsure of a hop I go with a dry hop of 1g per litre (then round to the nearest 5g).

As for pellets and flowers, you use 10% more flowers then pellets but if you are only using small quantities then just go with the same amount as it isn't much different.

Thanks guys.

I just bought some Hallertau from Dave's Home Brew Shop; he reckoned dry hop for aroma, and that I could get away with as little as 12g - but I might meet halfway and use 20g, the recommended time to add the dry hops was day three or so of brewing, as there would be alcohol present, but not enough sugar to feed any nasties that might find their way in when adding the hops.

The other option was to go with making a tea and put this in just prior to the yeast, but I think I prefer the dry option, as I'm really only wanting to add a little personalisation and flavour to my brew, so it's not just the stock standard k&k brew from the can and BE1. Dave reckoned making a tea and adding it at the beginning would be the flavour option, but dry hop is more the aroma, so 20g dry hop I think would be a good midpoint, and seems what I'm looking for.

The worst that will happen is I'll end up with a bit more of a hoppy beer, but that wouldn't be a problem, the problem I'm trying to avoid is making a beer without enough hop profile, as I find the can stuff tends to have the aroma boiled off it, so the obvious solution seems to be dry hopping. Am I on the right track here, or talking out of my proverbial?

20g dry hop will be fine. You could do both; a hop tea and a dry hop of 15g each.

The good thing about slightly overhopping is that it does calm down with time in the bottle. But it is harder to correct a beer that is under hopped.

Hey Gang,

I haven't made a CB kit in quite some time. I do remember it going nicly with some honey a cascade dry hop. But, I think you may be on to something with the Hallertau. Don't quote me on this one but I think the Canadian Blonde is a kit to resemble 'Molson Canadian' megaswill. I wouldn't be suprised if it's bittered with Hallertau. So, a little more in the boil or at the finsh might be just the thing.

Try and ferment it a as low as a temperature as you dare! Cold lager it for a month or more, drink it super cold and SHELLBERIGHTMATE![biggrin]

Archived