Coopers Community

Going at it again, wheat beer this time!

TobiasA

Hi again,

I have been worried that the temperature will go up too high in my closet during the summer, but I'm going to risk it and put down another brew next weekend (11th or so).

The brew will be inspired by some recipies I found on Hoegaarden clones, here and on other sites.

Coopers wheat beer kit

1kg wheat dry malt extract

500g light dry malt extract

Orange zest 40g@15min

Coriander seeds 15g@15min

EKG pellets 15g@15min

Saaz pellets 15g@15min

WB-06 yeast

Water up to 23 liters

I would be thankful for any suggestions to improve this. It doesn't have to be an exact clone, but something in the style of Hoegaarden :)

It looks good Tobias.

Can you get 1.5kg dry wheat malt rather than use the 500g light dry malt? I think this would be better. Perhaps even drop the dry malt to 1.2kg in total to bring it more in line with the Hoegaarden ABV and reduce the sweetness.

Is EKG used as a late addition in Hoegaarden? I'm not sure, but it would still be nice.

How hot will your closet be? WB-06 can ferment well on the warm side; not sure what the dominant esters and phenols are at the high temps though.

I didn't really help a great deal [innocent] Just brew it and see how it goes.

Certainly can do 1.2kg of wheat instead of what I originally planned :) What do you mean as late addition? Dry hop or 15 mins ?

Right now there's 21 degrees in there, I never measured before I started homebrewing so I have no idea how hot it will be, guess time will tell :)

Certainly can do 1.2kg of wheat instead of what I originally planned :) What do you mean as late addition? Dry hop or 15 mins ?

Right now there's 21 degrees in there, I never measured before I started homebrewing so I have no idea how hot it will be, guess time will tell :)

I was questioning the 15 minute addition and whether it belongs in a Hoegaarden clone. It should be fine anyway.

21 degrees will be fine also.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey again. Ended up brewing this with 1,5kg dry wheat extract instead of 1,2kg. Transferred to secondary today after 2 weeks, OG 1.048 and SG now 1.008 so it's probably done, but will keep it in secondary for a week.

Tasting it now, and it surely tastes good. However, I'm not too happy about the color, did I do something wrong or will it change with time?

VeteFan_zpsd89708e1.jpg

So, was going to bottle this today, but I need your input before I do. I have something that might look like an infection on top of it, but it doesn't smell bad at all. I googled around a bit, and in some forums they say this is something that the wheat yeast do sometimes and it's nothing to worry about.

Anyone here got any input or similar experience? I haven't tasted it yet, but will do that later tonight.

For reference, this was in primary for two weeks and now secondary one week. Fermenting temperature has been between 20 and 23 degrees

wheat_zpsbb0ed26e.jpg

Definitely taste it and see what it is like. I have never seen wheat beers do that for me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You won't know until you taste it but those little thready lines don't look the best. I had a beer infection a long time ago so I can't recall exactly how it looked but your photo reminds me of my acetobacter infection.

The taste of mine was like a sourness mxed with vinegar, a really vulgar taste [sick]

But yours could be fine [rightful]

Good morning all from a cold and wet Stellenbosch. Brewed the Hefeweizen this weekend, or what I thought is the Hefeweizen. More for the wife then for myself. Problem is I did not read the recipe all that well. I used 1 can of TC wheat beer kit and one can of TC wheat malt extract (all 1.5kg of it[crying] )

I did use WB 06 as suggested. Will this beer still be ok? Maybe just a bit more maltier and higher alcohol? I was looking to brew a Hefeweizen and I am not sure if dry hopping will improve the flavour as I can't remember tasting/smelling any hops last time I has a Hefeweizen

Paul, using the 1.5kg tin of Wheat Malt Extract is equivalent to using 1.2kg of dry wheat malt.

I have just bottled a Hefeweizen using the Coopers Wheat tin & 1kg of dry wheat malt. It was brewed at 23 degrees as I was under the impression the flavour was yeast driven (I used Danstar Munich yeast) rather than hop driven. I may be wrong there but someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to set you straight.

Hi Greg. Pretty cold here so I think mine will ferment at about 20C. Problem is I can seem to find any dry wheat malt extract from any of my LHBS. But I am getting all my ducks in a row to start extract brewing and steeping grains in the future, so maybe that will help.

Good morning all from a cold and wet Stellenbosch. Brewed the Hefeweizen this weekend' date=' or what I thought is the Hefeweizen. More for the wife then for myself. Problem is I did not read the recipe all that well. I used 1 can of TC wheat beer kit and one can of TC wheat malt extract (all 1.5kg of it[crying'] )

I did use WB 06 as suggested. Will this beer still be ok? Maybe just a bit more maltier and higher alcohol? I was looking to brew a Hefeweizen and I am not sure if dry hopping will improve the flavour as I can't remember tasting/smelling any hops last time I has a Hefeweizen

What Greg said is correct. And you are correct too; you will end up with a maltier and more alcoholic brew. The extra maltiness will make it sweeter though.

You could always add a little more water to the FV to dilute it but this will also dilute the bitterness.

I think you should just run with what you have and see what happens. It will still be very drinkable.

Hi Tobi, i had a brew back in January that started to look like that after about three weeks in the FV and it tasted a bit cidery. A few days later that thin 'whiteish' film on top had turned in to a layer of lots of large whiteish bubbles covering the entire surface. It also tasted worse. [sick]

I'm guessing yours is going to go the same way. [crying]

But i could be wrong !

Brendan.

Thanks for all the input guys. I tasted it today. While it really wasn't superbad, I decided to toss it anyway.

Can't remember who here said it, but it's a good quote anyway. "Life's too short to drink bad beer".

Got the my Mexican fermenting since a week back and next one will be an Amarillo Pale Ale, so it's not that bad :)

That was my quote. I probably ripped it off someone else but who cares, I'm claiming it for my signature now [biggrin]

Was it a little bit bad though? I wouldn't have chucked it out if it wasn't off.

Archived