Coopers Community

ANZAC Ale with Stella and NS

Going to put 2 brews on today after bottling my IPA.

I thought the ANZAC Ale would work well since it is my birthday on the 25th.

I was thinking of adding some NS. Stella and NS in a short 5 min boil and then dry hopping. Keeping it simple but getting that flavour.

Ingredients

\u2022\t1.7kg Original Series Real Ale beer kit

\u2022\t500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

\u2022\t300g Dextrose/Sugar

\u2022\t50g Roasted Barley

Stella 15gm @ 5mins

Nelson Sauvin 15gm @ 5mins

Stella dry hop 25gm

Nelson Sauvin dry hop 25gm

OG 1036

FG 1008

ABV 4% @ 7g/L

US-05 ferment at 18-20c

I have gone with the 5 min boul and dry hopping as the 30min steep with the fruit salad ale didn't pack enough flavour, it was losing it after 4 weeks.

Anyone tried Stella and NS together?

Hey K,

This looks like a nice brew!

I've made something like this one in the past. It was a really good beer that I should really brew again![joyful] The roasted Barley and the NS seem to go really nice together[rightful] .

I'd also like to take this post to praise the OS Real Ale can as a really good kit as a base to APAs, IPAs and would probably make a good secondary kit for a Toucan Stout or an ESB, as well as many other creative ideas!

Thanks mate,

I need to drop the Stella though...Grain and Grape don't carry it :(

I decided to change it to just NS, 15g @10 and 15g at 5, and dry hop 50gms...

Is that a reasonable amount to dry hop with? First time using NS.

Thanks again.

Thanks mate,

Thanks again.

Whoa! That's more NS than I would use. It's a wonderful hop, but that much will be pretty full on. Can you get some Centennial to balance it out with or some Cascade?

Thanks mate,

Thanks again.

Whoa! That's more NS than I would use. It's a wonderful hop, but that much will be pretty full on. Can you get some Centennial to balance it out with or some Cascade?

Hmm I have some Cascade left. 25g of each dry hopped then?

The hop boil is done and cooling...the roasted barley and NS smells mmmmmmmm :)

Agreed mate. NS is probably one of the better smelling ones in the kettle. I learned about its potency the hard way though. I used a tonne of it in a pale ale which was only around 30 IBUs and didn't use any other hops with it.

VERY sickly and winey/grapey. Just like drinking passion pop. [sick]

Just as well you have the real ale for the base, as it's nice and bitter already. If you'd used the APA I'd be worried. [crying]

EDIT: Maybe 25g Cascade and 15g NS?

Hey Gang,

I went way back in my notes (Oct. 27/2010)to find the brew I made that was similar. It went like this.

Waitabit Ale

1.7Kg Real Ale

.56 Kg Amber LME

.3Kg Dex

.2Kg Wheat Malt(steeped 30mins)

50g roasted barley (steeped 30mins)

25g Nelson S. (steeped 25mins)

20g NS (dry hop)

120g dex (bulk prime)

US-05

23L water

OG 1.040 FG 1.010

It was a nice drop!

Note: I believe this was is the only brew that I steeped hops for. I would do a boil with a late addition nowadays.

This brew was before the days of me having any idea of mashing the wheat malt with a base malt. I was looking for some extra body. I think it worked[unsure].

Agreed mate. NS is probably one of the better smelling ones in the kettle. I learned about its potency the hard way though. I used a tonne of it in a pale ale which was only around 30 IBUs and didn't use any other hops with it.

VERY sickly and winey/grapey. Just like drinking passion pop. [sick]

Just as well you have the real ale for the base, as it's nice and bitter already. If you'd used the APA I'd be worried. [crying]

EDIT: Maybe 25g Cascade and 15g NS?

Should be 38IBU and I dry hopped 25gm of Cascade and NS...I will find out in a few weeks lol. Brew day was very rushed yesterday, hope it turns out ok. Cooled my wort in the rain.

OG 1037

Blind Guardian is my fav band btw :)

Hey Gang,

I went way back in my notes (Oct. 27/2010)to find the brew I made that was similar. It went like this.

Waitabit Ale

1.7Kg Real Ale

.56 Kg Amber LME

.3Kg Dex

.2Kg Wheat Malt(steeped 30mins)

50g roasted barley (steeped 30mins)

25g Nelson S. (steeped 25mins)

20g NS (dry hop)

120g dex (bulk prime)

US-05

23L water

OG 1.040 FG 1.010

It was a nice drop!

Note: I believe this was is the only brew that I steeped hops for. I would do a boil with a late addition nowadays.

This brew was before the days of me having any idea of mashing the wheat malt with a base malt. I was looking for some extra body. I think it worked[unsure].

20gm NS dry hopped, I should be ok with 25 balanced with cascade then..

Hola amigo's

I done made an ANZAC and awesome it was ey. See my signature. It was awesome as bro.

I may have sampled some and many others.

Tonight i tried making a variant using Pacific Gem. Will update recipe details when i can see what i'm typing [unsure] [alien]

Thanks I will check it out.

This band can do no wrong IMO. [cool]

@ 38 IBU you won't be drinking a sickly beer at all. Sounds like it will be a great drop. As I've developed a taste for hoppier beers the IBUs for my standard batches just keep creeping higher and higher. [roll] When anyone who drinks regular beer tries one the first thing they comment on is the bitterness.

Just as well I make it for me and not them huh?

This band can do no wrong IMO. [cool]

@ 38 IBU you won't be drinking a sickly beer at all. Sounds like it will be a great drop. As I've developed a taste for hoppier beers the IBUs for my standard batches just keep creeping higher and higher. [roll] When anyone who drinks regular beer tries one the first thing they comment on is the bitterness.

Just as well I make it for me and not them huh?

I have been appreciating to more hoppy and flavoursome beers now too. Had Fat Yak on tap last night at Ensiferum... spent a good portion of the time analysing it. It's a different beer on tap :| Not fond of it in the bottle.

Archived