Coopers Community

Irish Ale

Lotm

I am contemplating brewing an Irish Ale (from the how to brew section). I'm not sure though. Has anybody done this one before? I'm worried because of the syrup and BE1. I made a strawberry blonde with BE1 and honey and it tastes like cider-beer. Your thoughts?

I have never brewed the Irish Ale from the recipe section. I didn't even know it was there, I was getting it confused with the Irish Red Ale.

The only comment I will make is if you don't like BE1 then don't use it. I personally don't like it and I am sure it won't get better with repeated use.

Try changing it dry malt and some dextrose instead.

Hi Scott, this is a post i made in the recent thread regarding Toucan APA, it might be worth reading,

Cheers Nick

ExpatSthAussie wrote:

.I was toying with the idea of a toucan with an amount golden syrup added. Similar to the website recipe for Irish Ale.Any thoughts?

Due to my insatiable appetite for Kilkenny, the Irish Ale recipe was the driving force behind me purchasing a Coopers Fv and entering the wonderous world of homefermenting, but i can honestly say, that i was very dissapointed.

I thought that because it was only my second brew (the first was the lager kit that came with the Fv) that my inexperience was the reason, but no, i have tried it again and have been just as dissapointed. I found it bland and pissy, but maybe a toucan will fix that and also up the GS a little.

The main problem I see with the EB kit or the toucan version is that it will be way too bitter for an Irish Ale.

If you aren't concerned with style guidelines then go for it. Create your own style: the Irish IPA.

I was going to put down another APA tonight, but after kicking this around with X the other night and now reading the stormtroopers thread, i might have another go at the Irish.

I will go with the EB, but add (and this is only my idea, others are very welcome)

250gm dex

250gm LDM (light)

250gm DME (dark)

250gm corn syrup (maltodex)

500gm Golden syrup

Its making my mouth water as i type.

All comments and alternatives will be taken on board.[biggrin]

Sorry mate I haven't used any Muntons products before.

I have seen that Muntons are releasing (or have released) tins of Marris Otter liquid malt extract.

I don't know when it will reach Oz but it might be a good base make your own Irish ale.

Archived