Coopers Community

Hopped up APA

After already reading quite a few recent threads on the forum, I just wanted some thoughts on the following recipe, as I've never used Galaxy hops before. I had a few bits & pieces lying around & put this recipe down earlier today.

Coopers APA tin

150gm LDM

1kg Maris Otter

250gm Dark wheat malt grain (approx. 13-14EBC)

150gm CaraPils

100gm Medium crystal

Mashed grain bill @ approx 67C for 1 hour.

Strained & rinsed with 1.5 litres of 67C water to make approx 6L volume. Brought to the boil & boiled for 30mins then added in the hops.

Cascade 10gm for 10mins.

Galaxy 20gm for 5mins.

Cascade 15gm for 5mins.

Galaxy 20gm @ flameout.

Cascade 10gm @ flameout.

Cascade 15gm dry hop after 5-6 days.

US-05 yeast pitched dry @ 22C & will reduce in brew fridge to 18C over the next 12-18hrs.

CC

Hey CC, I haven't put the recipe into any brewing software so I am not sure what the 'numbers' look like. I would guess it was around 4.5% ABV. Just a couple of comments though.

Are you saying that you are boiling for 40 minutes? It is usually recommended that you boil the wort for 60 minutes to minimise DMS; but you should be fine with 40 minutes and only 1kg of base malt.

I like galaxy but it can be a little full on sometimes. I would probably take 10g from either the 5 minute or flame out addition and dry hop with that instead.

But I have re-read your post I now see that you have already brewed it [biggrin]

So just ignore my comments and let us know how it turns out. If you find that the galaxy is a bit rough at first then give it some extra time in the bottle and it will calm down.

Thanks for the reply Hairy. (Nice to meet you)

As it was with a kit, I didn't see the need to evaporate the wort any further by boiling the grain wort beyond 30mins to minimize DMS, & it wasn't a big grain bill. If I taste butterscotch I'll know I screwed up there! [pinched] [lol]

By my calcs, it should end up approx 4.9% ABV in the bottle, 4.5% in the keg. I like hoppy beers so lets hope it turns out 'hoppy'. [biggrin]

CC

Archived