Coopers Community

Wheat Beer Recipes

AB

G'Day All,

I love a good wheat beer and have been struggling to find some good recipes on the forum.

Has anyone got any recipes floating in their black book or a different take on the standard coopers recipe? Any hop additions would be helpful too.

Appreciate any recipes you can throw my way...

Cheers,

AB

Most of the wheat beer flavour is generated by the yeast. The best thing you can do for your beer is to use a decent liquid wheat beer yeast.

Below is a link to some Wyeast wheat beer yeasts:

Wyeast - Wheat Beer Yeast

I have used the Wyeast 3056 and fermented it at 23 degrees. It turned out more subtle then I was hoping. Next time I will try the 3068.

As for a recipe just keep it simple; they are simple beers. Wheat beer kit and liquid wheat malt will do the job.

Use a noble hop like Hallertau but use in moderation. The wheat malt and yeast should be the focus.

For something tasty and simple:

wheat beer kit

1kg wheat dme

300g carapils steep (optional)

250g dex (optional)

boil grated rind of 2 oranges (just the orange part)and 15 grams of cracked coriander seed for 10 minutes

WB06 yeast

Ferment at 22ish.

It makes a great wheatbeer that's ready to drink after just a few weeks in the bottle.

Drinking one right now... [biggrin]

Thanks Fellas,

Any views on Wheat DME v Liquid Wheat Malt? ive used DME with good results previously.

Im going to drop into the LHBS on the weekend to have a chat as well...

High fermentation temperature is key for the Wyeast 3944 Hoegaarden strain which is fairly neutral at 70F, and gets good at 79F. Appears 3944 needs to stress a bit to create flavors.

Use the lemony oblong shaped greenish color coriander, not the brown round soapy stuff.

We like to add a vodka citrus zest extract, use the zest only of your favorite citrus lemons(my favorite), or limes, or oranges,etc. add 2oz vodka, cover with cling wrap, let steep for at least a few days then strain out the solids and add the liquid only at bottling time to maximize flavor addition which reduces over time.

Just re-cultured the yeast from a bottle of Unibroue La Fin Du Monde = Wyeast 3864-PC Canadian/Belgian Ale. Read some brewery tour posting that "La Fin du Monde is brewed at 25C for primary fermentation, 32C for a very short secondary (near the very end of ferment) and bottle conditioned at 27C.". Had it on the stir plate for a few days then pitched into a Coopers Cerveza kit with dex only to make an easy beer. When completed then rinsed/washed to save the yeast for future brews.

Archived