Coopers Community

Recipe thoughts Pale Ale

harviek

Was thinking of making a nice fruity Pale Ale for the Summer using the following ingredients and would love some thoughts/input:

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

30 gm Willamette [infused]

30 gm Citra [dry hopped on day 3]

Safale 05 yeast

Make 23 Litres

Well I finally settled on the following recipe [because the LHBS couldn't get any citra] :

Pale ale kit , 1.5kg Light Malt extract, 150gm Caramalt [45-55ebc grain enhancer pack infused for 30mins],30gm Nelson Sauvin and 30gm centennial as a hop tea day 3.

Now just to await the final result.....

Since it's already pitched what are anybody's thoughts on the recipe?

Hey Harviek

I think your recipe looks solid.

I think the kit-extract-grains combo looks good. While I haven't used Nelson Sauv myself, I've had a beer that a mate made that used Nelson + cascade (very similar to using Centennial), and it was very nice.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

-Dyl

Hey Harviek

I think your recipe looks solid.

I think the kit-extract-grains combo looks good. While I haven't used Nelson Sauv myself, I've had a beer that a mate made that used Nelson + cascade (very similar to using Centennial), and it was very nice.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

-Dyl

Thanks Dylan, I was after a nice "fruity" Pale Ale that my wife and others will drink on a hot Summer's day.

In a lot of ways (almost every way actually), your recipe and the one I posted under Summer Quaffer Thoughts are the same.

I think Cascade and Centennial are similar, and I've read comparisons between Nelson Sauv and Pacific Jade.

The only difference is that I plan to boil for 20mins (flavour) and do a 5 minute boil (which I assume would be similar to making a hop tea).

I'm making my beer on the weekend. I can't wait to drink it.

Please keep us posted on your result.

-Dyl

Well I finally settled on the following recipe [because the LHBS couldn't get any citra] :

Pale ale kit , 1.5kg Light Malt extract, 150gm Caramalt [45-55ebc grain enhancer pack infused for 30mins],30gm Nelson Sauvin and 30gm centennial as a hop tea day 3.

Now just to await the final result.....

Since it's already pitched what are anybody's thoughts on the recipe?

Well, I think I f*'d it up! How you ask?

I decided to dry hop instead of a hop tea. My aim was to add 30gms of each of the a fore mentioned hops. It is at this point the comedy of errors starts.....

My wife dropped and broke our digital scales so I was forced to borrow a neighbours scales. The neighbours scales only had 50gm increments on them or Oz. Not a problem I thought, I'll add 2oz in total of hops and that is ~60gm in total.

It wasn't until the next day on my way in to work that I realised I had added 60gms/2oz of EACH hop so I have added double what I originally intended.

So why am I telling this story?

I need any advice/consoling is this going to be a completely f*d up brew or will this turn out ok?

HELP!!?!?!

Harviek, in my opinion you made it better by accident, but thats cos I love the hops [love] [love] But in saying that 60 gs of Nelson will probably knock your socks off on first taste! They are fairly strong in the aroma and flavour department.

You just might want to wait a few weeks more before cracking the bottles open as the hops will eventually dissipate - test taste at bottling and that will tell you what it's gonna be like straight up (albeit flat).

• 3 weeks later...
Harviek' date=' in my opinion you made it better by accident, but thats cos I love the hops [love'] [love] But in saying that 60 gs of Nelson will probably knock your socks off on first taste! They are fairly strong in the aroma and flavour department.

You just might want to wait a few weeks more before cracking the bottles open as the hops will eventually dissipate - test taste at bottling and that will tell you what it's gonna be like straight up (albeit flat).

Well, I bottled this today . Tried some from the fermenter, wow! I hope it tastes as good in a few weeks time. [i plan to try one at 2 weeks,4 weeks,6 weeks,8 week to see how it develops. I'll keep you updated!

Well' date=' I bottled this today . Tried some from the fermenter, wow! I hope it tastes as good in a few weeks time. [/quote']

That's great to hear Harvie. Can't wait to follow your updates. I received a delivery from Craft Brewer today and these two hops were in the pack. I reckon that Pale Ales never Fail [happy]

Archived