Coopers Community

So what is a true AUS Pale Ale?

I don't think there will be many to choose from.

What are the options?

Anyway, I vote for Coopers Sparkling Ale. The Coopers Pale Ale is always a welcome option when you visit pubs that only pour the big commercial beers and then you see the green label on the tap.

But it isn't a patch on the Sparkling Ale.

I suppose anything that isn't an Indian PA or an American PA style. After that, I'm open to any variants, be they commercially brewed or home brewed styles you have tasted.

The best version of this style I have ever tasted was a beer made by a friend of a friend of mine. The guys name is Stuart Kearney. He won "Best Australian Pale Lager" at the South Australian & Australian National Home Brew Awards in 2006 with this beer.

Australian Home Brew Awards 2006

It was a Pale Ale/Lager hybrid. It seemed to have the flavour & aroma of a Cascade hop driven Pale Ale, with the body & finish of a good lager. It was just divine to drink, & is the style I am aiming to produce for myself.

I know his beer was extract based, had obvious Cascade Hops flavour & that he used a Mexican Lager Yeast (WLP940) in his processes to produce the beer. Beyond that I will have to experiment further.

I'll play Devils Advocate here.

It may be a nice beer but with Cascade flavour & aroma plus a lager yeast, does it qualifiy as an Australian Pale Ale?

It doesn't meet the criteria in the style guidelines in the earlier posts [rightful]

On current ideals of the definition of a Pale Ale, yes you have me on that one Hairy.

Are beer styles so rigid that crossovers between variants place them outside currently accepted definitions?

All I do know is that if you tasted Stuart's beer, you certainly would not be saying it was a "lager" you were drinking.

Are beer styles so rigid that crossovers between variants place them outside currently accepted definitions?

Yes... but in the context of competition brewing not brewing for yourself at home. You will get slammed in competition if it doesnt fit the style criteria.

If you arent brewing for a comp then dont feel like you need to conform to style guides.

Yob

Indeed it is. We stock it at my bottleshop. Not a bad drop either from memory.

Anyways, I put that brew down today that I posted back earlier in this thread.

Coopers Aus Pale Ale kit

500gms Powdered Light Malt

250gms Maltodextrin

375gms Honey (substituted for 300gms of Dextrose)

25gms Pride Of Ringwood hops (cooked as per Hairy's advice)

15gms Cascade hops (Added late to P.O.R cook for flavour)

I've got the feeling it may end up too bitter for my tastes, so will probably tone down the hop amounts next batch. Who knows, maybe the honey added in may quell that a little. It smelt nice in the fermenter so I guess we'll see.

If you want to lose a good whack of your day, bottle a batch & then cook up another one straight after that! Where has the day gone?

I'll post how it turns out in a few weeks.

Archived