Coopers Community

Absence of Fermentation

Tassie brew

Hey guys I've just got a quick question. Im brewing 2 brews at the moment in 2 different fermenters. One brew is going fine but the other fermenter does not seem to be fermenting at all. It has been just over 2 days since I put this brew on. No sign of fermentation and no change in hydrometer reading.

Anyone got any ideas what is happening or a way I can get it to ferment without affecting the brew?

Cheers,

Tassie Brew

TB,

What temperature are the brews at?

This may be important because perhaps one is a lager (i.e. with true lager yeast and thus fermenting) whereas the other is an ale (with an ale yeast and thus not fermenting as it's not warm enough.

Let us know.

The temp. is about 24 degrees.

I gave the fermenter a bit of a swirl 2 days ago to see if it would start to ferment. There was no sign a day later so I took Luke's advice and added some more yeast last night. It started fermenting properly today so I'm guessing that's what it was.

Cheers for that Luke

Tassie - that's happened to me before. Yeast died and never did a darn thing, so I pitched more and it picked up.

But this kinda ties in with your other thread (with the pressure leak in your fermenter), just check the "signs of fermentation" through SG readings and not bubbling. With your O-ring problems, it might appear like nothing's happening when it is (as you obviously found out already in the other thread).

You'll find the more you do, the more things just 'work'. :)

Archived