Coopers Community

Holgate Temptress Chocolate Porter

Hey everyone,

I tried a bottle of this last night while out and about, and really enjoyed it. Wondering if anyone has a recipe not to necessarily clone it but make something in that style? It has cocoa and vanilla beans in it according to the website. I probably wouldn't worry about putting vanilla beans in one if I make it though.

Cheers,

Kelsey

I haven't tried the Holgate Choccy Porter, but i will in the next week or two if i can find it. What i did find in Woolworths the other day was the Mildura Brewery 'Choc Hops' Chocolate Stout, exellent stout, very chocolatey. The label says hints of chocolate and vanilla. There's a bit more than a hint of chocolate in this one IMO. Would love to make something in this style.

Brendan.

I find it hard to try out different beers now that I have so many Coopers home brews bottled as well as 3 kegs in the Kegarator. To top that off the Missus came home last week with the Curious Squire 12 pack (To good a bargain to pass up) and then made Beef Brew with Herb Dumplings that required 600ml of dark ale, hence she purchased a six pack of White Rabbit cause apparently it was cheaper than buying just two.

So until I see one of these Porters I will content myself with my EB Porter, if the Holgate or the Mildura are as good as mine then I would surely enjoy as I reckon the one I brewed is "My Best Beer Yet" [love]

Yeah I haven't had the opportunity to try too many new ones lately. These Holgate ones were $12.50 a bottle at this club.. glad I wasn't paying for it! [lol] I tried their ESB too, it was also a nice drop. Pretty sure we tried a WRDA too which was also nice.

When it warms up a bit I might give that EB Porter recipe a go and see how close it gets to the Holgate one, I'm not really sure when you'd add cocoa though (I realise it's not in that recipe but it is listed on the Holgate one). I haven't tried the Mildura mentioned but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Cheers,

Kelsey

I've had Holgate Temptress dozens of times on tap, haven't seen the bottles around, but it's awesome. I thought the Choc Hop was great too.

I did have a recipe around somewhere, can't say what its like because I never tried it, I'll keep looking for it.

I'm pretty sure you will need the Vanilla (or similar) though because any decent Chocolate you will use will be bitter and not sweetened.

Mmmm...[love]

Sounds like just the ticket for a cold rainy day!

Had a Holgate Temptress from a traditional hand pump at the Holgate Brewery, it was so nice, but they couldnt fill my growler with it cos it isn't carbonated- could i have got it & bottle carbed myself?

Hmm, I've got an idea for a Rainy day in Mildura...

Thats right I'm going to the Mildura brewery for a Choc Hops or (and) Midnight Porter on tap! [biggrin]

Right after I bottle my Pear cider & whip up a quick Stout[joyful]

Sure went down well! I've never seen it anywhere before, but this was some swanky club in the one of the trendiest areas in town.. not somewhere I would normally hang out being a heavy metal headbanger..[lol] I'd like to check out the brewery if I'm ever down that way though, it sounds great. But yes, very nice beer and would love to brew something similar in style[love]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Don't want to smash any dreams you have, but the brewery is really just an extremely small pub bar that you have to line up single file just to get a beer, and its out in the middle of nowhere but their beer is good!!! [biggrin]

• 5 years later...

BUMP!

Had the Holgate "Temptress" chocolate porter (from tap) last weekend. Over the two days prior I had drank a 6-pack of the James Squire "Jack of Spades" porter (which I rate) and thought the "Temptress" was far superior. So ended up buying a slab of it.

Fortunately, the bottle contains a fair bit of information to help us home brewers.

--- FROM THE BACK THE BOTTLE ---

"Our luscious Robust Porter is a cult classic. Real cocoa and whole vanilla beans give this porter a luxurious twist and silky mouthfeel. All this plus a secret blend of specialty malts give a complex palate of alluring chocolate, coffee, and caramel with a hint of vanilla. Give in to temptation!"

OG 14.6, IBU 31, EBC 88

MALT: PALE, VIENNA, CRYSTAL, BROWN, CHOCOLATE, CARAFA & OATS.

HOPS: TOPAZ

---

I'm not exactly sure with the yeast. However, based on taste and style I presume Nottingham.

Based on the above, may you please help devise both an all-grain and extract (+specialty grain inclusions) recipe?

I've never brewed a porter, particularily one this complex. So I'm not too sure regarding the ratios. Considering I'm still an extract brewer, I'm planning to mash and hop the medium and darker specialty grains and just use some Light LME for the pale component. What are your thoughts?

Archived