Coopers Community

HOW TO GET CREAMY STOUT LIKE GUINESS ????

stevend

I find stout from a keg to be a world apart from my bottled stuff, you can control the carbonation and the bubbles are small and compact.

I'm also loving lactose and chocolate malt in my homebrew stouts, Im using 500g of each which may seem excessive but I beg to differ, I hear rolled oats can add to the mouthfeel and that is my next endeavour.

Hi Steve,

If you are wondering about a creamy head like a Guiness. Try priming your batch (bulk priming of course) very low. Like say 100g of dextrose/23L then (here comes the neat part![biggrin] ) you take a 10ml syringe and insert it into you freshly poured, completely headless brew and give it a pump or two. Voila! Totally creamy, Guiness style head![cool] I've got a 6 month old Irish Ale that this trick works a treat with.[biggrin]

I add fermentables on top of that

This is a recipe still in the works for my next brew, I have most of the ingredients but thinking about doing my first mini mash to get the most out of the oats ...

This was the first recipe of this style that Im drinking now which worked really well and tastes great

img4183wl.jpg

Im aiming for the perfect sweet choc stout by the end of the year Im hoping to enjoy the prototypes along the way [joyful]

hy sorry to bother again grahamb8 but please could i have a recipe for that stout looks bloody nice ' date=' im a newby so its like talking to a kid lol step by step and what you store yours in[/quote']

No bother mate!

I had already linked the recipes in the post above click on the words in red [biggrin]

The picture above is from keg, I did bottle some and took them away camping recently, they taste good but not the same mouthfeel but neither does Guiness from a bottle.

Im making this tonight if I dont have too many today,

1 Can OS stout

1kg Dark dry malt extract

500g Lactose

250ml Pure maple syrup

500g Steeped chocolate malt

250g Steeped Crystal 40

2 tsp Vanilla extract

20g Goldings hops

English ale yeast

1, Smash choc and crystal grains with a rolling pin.

2, Add to grain bag (I use fine Swiss voile) and steep in 3L of water for 30mins at 75\xb0c

3, Put grain bag in strainer over pan and rinse with 2L of 75\xb0c water

4, bring wort to boil and add 10g of Golding pellets (in hop bag, again I make mine from Swiss voile)

5, After 15mins add Malt, Lactose, Maple, Vanilla and remaining hops

6, After 5mins add pot to ice bath till you get the wort down to around 35\xb0c

7, Pour Coopers stout into fermenter and pour wort over and stir

8, Top up to 20L and check temp, add hot or cold to 23L to finish around 20\xb0c

9, Pitch yeast (use an English ale yeast and save your coopers yeast for emergencies or nutrient)

10, Try to ferment at 18\xb0c

Theres a chocolate wheat malt available, I've never used it though.

As far as a creamy taste I dont think your going to get what you want from the malt alone. Chocolate malt is simply a roasted grain, it gives you a roasted grain flavour likenned to dark chocolate and coffee.

(some useful descriptions can be found here http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=21)

I would research adjuncts to create the flavours and mouthfeel your looking for (Maltodextrine, Lactose, Chocolate nibs ect ect)

To get the Guinness creaminess you need to keg and use a nitrogen mix for your pour (or something similar).

A bit of searching will find more info as it has been discussed at length on here before...I'd find a link but I can't be arsed at the moment...breakfast to be caught and buffaloes to be watered.

Archived