Coopers Community

Weizenbock

BarryW4

Greeting folks, first time poster, long time lurker.

Looking to do a weizenbock and was thinking about changing the Light German bock recipe to a can of wheat beer and a can of heritage lager, and 500g of both wheat and light dry malt.

Has anyone ever tried this or any opinions on the recipe?

Regards,

Barry

Hello barry welcome mate. I think you should give it a try ive recently been thinking of playing around a bit with wheat but have had to many other ideas to try first.

I think give it a go as you have planned and maby just add some extra hops and an extra packet or a specialty yeast depending on how much malt and wheat add. Good luck hope get some more feedback

Hey Barry

Using both kits would put you a little over the IBU range expected for a weizenbock (You'd have 37, when you want it to be 15-30). You could swap the wheat beer kit for a wheat malt can, and you'd get a beer with IBU of around 22.

I probably wouldn't add any extra hops. I've never had a Weizenbock, but typically wheat beers are more about the malt and yeast flavours than any hop flavours. The BJCP guidelines say:

"Hop flavor is absent, and hop bitterness is low".

I would recommend getting a good wheat yeast though.

I hope this helps

-Dylan

Hi Barry

Weizenbock - love your style.

I am with Dylan re the bitterness being too high. I've played around with the following in the magic spreadsheet.

1 x Coopers Wheat Beer

1 x Coopers Wheat Malt

1 x Coopers Amber Malt

20 L

And the following are the resulting figures:

OG = 1.072

FG = 1.021

IBU = 25.5

EBC = 20.3 (a little too light so perhaps 200g dark dry malt too)

ABV = 7.1%

The yeast is important in a hefeweizen, so I assume it's the same for a weizenbock. I've bought the Weihenstephaner yeast from craftbrewer for a planned hefeweizen - maybe that will be good for a weizenbock too.

Oh no barry you have asked a question and dissappered into thin air?

In regards to your recepie adam good idea a head blowing wheat beer but in saying that if is was me id still add hops as thats the taste i like to get in beer just me.

Would have to add 2 lots of yeast for that original gravity is high it depends how much he wants to spend on a batch of beer i suppose if he ever comes back to read this [whistling

Heh heh, I haven't gone anywhere Jimmy. Just taking it all in. [biggrin]

Wasn't sure what IBU meant but it seems to refer to bitterness.

Anyway, I'm looking to do something similar to Schneider Weisse's Aventinus or Erdinger's Pikantus and what Adam has suggested looks to be right up that street. I used a Danstar Munich yeast while doing the Hefeweizen recipe at the end of last year and that turned out really well.

Oh and the Aventinus is about \u20ac3 a bottle here in the shops so I've no problem spending to make a great brew. It's all about the quality.... [happy]

Go with what recepie you think will work and let us know how it goes. All i know is that's still alot of malt id be adding some sort of hops to it if was me even though it is a wheat style [bandit]

I tried the Weihenstephaner Vitus a few weeks back. Yummo, but geez it packed a punch. I felt so weird after the big hit of alcomohol. 7%

Also, a revision to the recipe I posted.....

300g of dark dry malt to get the colour up - a weizenbock has a bit more colour than a standard hefe.

This makes the ABV 7.4% [ninja] at 21 L (changed from 20)

Archived