Coopers Community

English Stout Recipe of the month

Hi all

So, the newsletter came out today, but I was on the store last night and the recipe pack was up, so I ordered it straight away.

Sounds tasty. As it will be first stout, has anyone got any additional pointers? I plan on putting it down on the weekend if I have my temp controller by then.

I will follow the recipe and brew at 21 degrees.

6ffc7a3d0c2badc7c0c0f5ef3783bc2c.png

Hey Adam!

This recipe sounds really good, im about to put down my 2nd brew which is gona be the lager kit, but after I have a can of Irish stout waitin in the fridge.

I actually didnt see this english stout recipe, but i did managed to import DME light n dark, Fuggles, and Czech Saaz hops pellets. Saaz for the lager kit and fuggles intended for the stout.

The recipe I have for the stout its pretty much the same as this english stout. But I want to cut down a bit on the dark malt, I think its roasty enough as it is in the can, at least I am assuming that. I had something like this.

1 Can of Irish stout.

800g/1kg of Light DME.

300g Dark DME.

300g Dextrose.

10g Fuggles @ 20.

10g Fuggles @ 5.

But I kinda want a sweet twist. Was thinkin of adding about 150g of Cocoa Powder, Flaked Oats steeped and some Vanilla Beans or Extract. Im a few months away for this stout, it will give me time to decide if I want it sweet or not and to browse around for recipes and taste reviews.

Let me know what recipe did you use.

Cheers mate!

Hi all

so I ordered it straight away.

Sounds tasty. As it will be first stout, has anyone got any additional pointers? I will follow the recipe and brew at 21 degrees.

I ordered mine just now, added up the sums and worked out well compared to driving to LHBS, the glasses seal the deal. Anyway I will put mine down after the Irish Red Ale I am doing tomorrow.

The only pointer I've got is I am going to follow the recipe to the tee [rightful] , that is the extent of my experimentation at the moment given the result of my recent creation [crying] .

I ordered mine just now

I reckon you bought the last one Nelson.

I checked it out a few minutes after you posted that and they were sold out.

That's not surprising Hairy, especially given the near $5 discount for members of the Brewers Guild. I don't think mine will be delivered as quick as Adam's though, it takes Aussie Post 14 days to get a book to me here from Bathurst.

Cheers for the heads up Cliff.

Clips will be used for sure on this one (I have the new FV).

I probably ordered one of the first kits as I was on the day before the newsletter came out and the price was wrong (I got my moolah back though, they're pretty good at service this mob).

I'm pretty keen to try this recipe as well and was curious about the choc malt optional extra. Thus far I've only found choc malted grains around the place and (having not played with such things before) was wondering how one might go about it?

Choc malt and choc malted grains are the same thing.

A quick summary for steeping grains:

Heat 2-3 litres of water in a saucepan to around 70 degrees. Add 300g of 'cracked' choc malt grains either in a grain bag or loose.

Put a lid on it and let it steep for 30 minutes. Remove the grains by either lifting out the bag or straining into another pot.

Bring the liquid to boil and let it boil for 15 minutes.

Then add this liquid to the FV. You can use it to dissolve the extract rather than adding additional hot water.

It's pretty easy and your brew will benefit from it. Just give it a go.

Archived