Coopers Community

Adding HOPS to IPA Extract kit

MattC10

Hi all! I hope everyone's new year is off to a great start! I wanted to get your input. Tonight I am planning on starting a new extract brew, an IPA. I bought some hops \u2014 Czech Saaz and Kent Golding to add to the brew in the following way:I am going to boil the Kent Golding (it was recommended I do this for 45 minutes) creating a hop tea that will be the basis of my wort, and will dry hop the brew later with the Saaz. Questions: when should I dry hop \u2013 how long before bottling?

Matt, boiling EKG for 45 minutes will leave you with the bitterness and not much else, with most of the aroma and flavour driven off during the boil.

If you have the TC IPA beer kit, it doesn't really need more bitterness. So you might like to try dry hopping with the EKG and save the Saaz for another brew - maybe a Pilsener.[wink]

Throw the hops in at the start of fermentation or a few day in, at the rate of 1g per litre. [cool]

Hi and thanks for your response \u2014 guess I am underestimating the IPA kit' date=' huh? I appreciate your advice, and will let you know how things turn out![/quote']

I just did this kit, dry hopped it with 25g of Motukea

some LDME and a little dex, tasted yesterday and its very nice. Next time i will use the same kit, a different malt, dry hop with Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe 25g each start of ferment.

Hi Tony\u2014I'm intrigued by your recipe! I hadn't considered adding a different kind of malt. How big of an effect does that have on flavor? I am really enjoying experimenting with the extract kits and this could be a great next step for me to try!

Hi Tony\u2014I'm intrigued by your recipe! I hadn't considered adding a different kind of malt. How big of an effect does that have on flavor? I am really enjoying experimenting with the extract kits and this could be a great next step for me to try!

Malt is pretty much your base flavour and colour in beer.

Some aid head retention like wheat malt, some impart nutty flavours and some are sweeter than others some lighter some darker. I just experiment with different ones.

I love IPA and will be attempting to try this once I've finished a (alcoholic) Ginger beer.

I had planned on just the TC IPA, but I shall follow your thoughts on your attempts guys. I especially love a bitter IPA (the Holgate Hopinator is pretty good) so more hops might be a great idea.

I had a black IPA a couple of months ago - it was very nice. Tasted pretty much the same as a "normal" IPA but much smoother and maltier.

Archived