Coopers Community

Strong German Lager

LesM2

A mate and I are thinking bout putting this recipe down in the next week or two and are just wondering what people thoughts are.

2 x 1.7kg Coopers Heritage Lager cans

1kg German Lager Enhancer #60

0.5 kg Dark Malt

Batch to be made to 23L and ferment at 15C in a custom made fridge for atleast 3 or 4 weeks as I know that lager yeasts need more time to ferment and then bottle condition for 3 months.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers guys

Bottled my first batches on 21/12 a Pale Ale and Canadian Blonde made to the recipe(fermented at 24C for 2 weeks)drank a couple yesterday slight bitter aftertaste but im just hoping that if i leave it for a week or 2 that aftertaste would go away but still both very nice drops though.

Les, what is the make-up of 1kg German Lager Enhancer #60?

Also, how much yeast are you going to pitch? Generally you would pitch more yeast for a lager than an ale. And this is going to be a big beer.

Taking a guess about the brew enhancer, you are probably looking at an OG of around 1070 - 1080.

You may want to consider pitching more yeast or making a big starter if using liquid yeast.

It looks like you are making a darkish doppelbock. You could try adding some specialty malts like caramunich or Victory malt.

And lastly, are you looking for a very bitter lager? Your recipe will probably end up in the mid-50's IBU.

Bottled my first batches on 21/12 a Pale Ale and Canadian Blonde made to the recipe(fermented at 24C for 2 weeks)

I would have kept this at 18C

I am about to do a Doppelbock, (may wait until the temps get a bit cooler in Melbourne save working my fermenting fridge overtime)i am still working on a recipe using Munich malts etc, i will be lagering it at 13C for at least 3weeks.

Gday Hairy

All I can find on the #60 German Lager Enhancer is that it contains extra malt and hop flavors in the traditional german style and hersbucker hops. Im assuming that it might have the caramunich malt as thats a traditional german style malt. Im tempted to even substitute the tins of goo for the Brewraft Munich Lager. Ill be using a Saflager S23 yeast 2 sachets of it. Ill try to pitch it at approx 20C and leave to ferment at 15C or lower in my fermenter fridge. As for the IBU s I am trying for that as I dont mind a nice bitter strong flavored beer and either does my mates. The OG of 1070-1080 sounds about right and that should lead to a FG of 1010 therefore ABV 8.5% - 10% I like the idea of the dark malk just to give it a darker color and more malty taste and feel. This could turn out to be a decent Dopplebock.

Cheers

Bottled my first batches on 21/12 a Pale Ale and Canadian Blonde made to the recipe(fermented at 24C for 2 weeks)

I am about to do a Doppelbock, (may wait until the temps get a bit cooler in Melbourne save working my fermenting fridge overtime)i am still working on a recipe using Munich malts etc, i will be lagering it at 13C for at least 3weeks.

Gday Tony

Yeah I too would of liked to of gotten the temp down to atleast 18C as it would of made for a cleaner beer. But impatince got the better me. And I just wanted to brew and i hadnt finished on the fermenter fridge yet. But you live and learn then drink beer and forget. Yea i want to get the temp of this Dopplebock as close as I can to 13 and leave it for 3 weeks or even 4 weeks. Yeah brewing in 40C heat not good but good for drinking though.Let me know how your Dopplebock goes. Ill let you know how mine goes.

Cheers

Yup this melbourne heat mate. Im in Melb to.

Gday Tony

Yeah I too would of liked to of gotten the temp down to atleast 18C as it would of made for a cleaner beer. But impatince got the better me. And I just wanted to brew and i hadnt finished on the fermenter fridge yet. But you live and learn then drink beer and forget. Yea i want to get the temp of this Dopplebock as close as I can to 13 and leave it for 3 weeks or even 4 weeks. Yeah brewing in 40C heat not good but good for drinking though.Let me know how your Dopplebock goes. Ill let you know how mine goes.

Cheers

Cool thanks for that Hairy. Yeah it doesnt say all that much bout it but yup ill keep you posted as we will most definatly be brewing this batch mate. I think its going to be a awesome drop.

Cheers

Archived