Coopers Community

Old Spiced Ale

NickB12

I've also not tried the Old Spiced Ale recipe. From my experience the recipes in the recipe section of this site are generally good quality, however maybe it's best to just do the standard recipe for your first brew... but it's up to you [cool]

Can it also be used as splash on aftershave?

I thought all beer can be used as aftershave [bandit]

Its an interesting observation, as a newbie brewer you see all these recipe's where people add things and have their favorite beers but i haven't seen anywhere apart from the stout kit where people have said they like the standard kit unmodified.

as a new home brewer you want to make that beer that knocks peoples socks off as far as flavor and quality, rather then start the slow way and make the standard kit then gradually improve to taste.

anyone else got any thoughts on when they first started brewing?

Nick,

Welcome to the forum & the mad world of home brewing.

I have only been brewing for 15 months. In that time I have tried brews in basic kit form & with hop additions etc. Brewing the basic kit/recipe allows you to get a starting point in taste, head retention etc so you can judge what the alterations you make in your next brew make.

By doing this you can work towards the "beer that knocks peoples socks off".

I have found some recipes that people rave about are not to my tastes but have worked out what I like & the guys I drink with seem to agree so it's a win/win situation here.

A lot of the fellow home brewers here have been doing it for a while before they hit "The One".

Good luck in your quest & don't be afraid to ask for advice along the way. [happy]

Brewing the basic kit/recipe allows you to get a starting point in taste' date=' head retention etc so you can judge what the alterations you make in your next brew make.[/quote']

I agree. In my opinion, the basic kit recipes already taste good... so you get to drink good beer whilst thinking about how you can make better beer, a win-win situation I reckon [biggrin]

Archived