Coopers Community

Flat beer

Bek

Hi -pretty new to brewing - i've just opened some of latest brew which is like tooheys old but it has little to no head and some of the batch is compleatley flat. I use Coopers carbonation drops - do i need to add more carbonation??

Any ideas would greatly help.

Bek

Hi Bek,

A few details would be handy to try and solve your problem:

How big are the bottles, how many carbonation drops did you add to each bottle, how long have they been in the bottle and what temperature have they been at since bottling?

Hi again - sorry infomation would be helpful.

Using 375ml glass and 750ml pet bottles. Put 2 carb drops inthe 750's and 1 in the 375's, about 2.5 weeks old and the temp was kept around 19 degrees.

Thanks Oliver

Hmmm. You say some are completely flat. The others are OK or slightly flat? How did you seal the bottles? Sounds as if it could be a dodgy seal.

How long was it in the fermenter for?

As far as the head goes, make sure your glasses are scrupulously clean. I'm not sure what ingredients you used, but try a little malt (say 500g, omitting 500g of sugar) or use a Coopers Brew Enhancer.

Paul will be able to tell you which of the Brew Enhancer contains head-enhancing ingredients.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with the seals and the bottles just need more time conditioning?? You haven't mentioned the brew used and there are a number of other variables that could be a factor. You may be better off talking it through with us on our Home Brew Hotline (1300 654 455). If you would like to speak with me just leave your number and ask for me. Otherwise, Frank or Darren should be able to help you.

Hi Paul,

Are there beers in your experience that don't carbonate after two-and-a-half weeks in the bottle at 19C with the correct amount of priming sugar?

Not trying to be smart, just wondering.

Cheers,

Oliver

EDIT: The reason I suspected the seal and not another cause of the poor carbonation is that Bek indicated that it was some of the batch, not all, that was not carbonated. Cheers.

Oliver - you are smart without trying! Anybody who makes their own beer has got to be smart, yeah?

Seriously though, I suggested Bek call our 1300 number because I feel that, in many cases, it's good to speak with people who are new to home brewing because more information can be communicated.

Yes - it could be that some of the bottles are not sealed properly.

or not

Have all the bottles been exposed to an ambient of 19C?

Did the ambient temperature drop below 19C for any length of time?

How long was the brew in fermenter?

Were the undercarbonated bottles filled toward the end of the bottling session?

What type of yeast?

Are we talking about undercarbonation or head retention?

just a note on the bottle tops (screw on PET type). I reuse, reuse and reuse - and I've never had a problem with things not sealing. BUT when I see that little blue lining dissappear (the one that's there when you see a new lid) and the only thing there is a grey "thing" I toss 'em out. Is this what everyone else does? I figure the blue bit is the little bit of majic in there that seals everything up nicely - is that right?

Hey everyone - i went down to my local brew shop today and the guy in there said that there must have been something wrong with the hand capper, as the flares on the metal caps wernt bent they were still flared.

I think i might just stick to pet bottles from now on - its not like the beer sits there for long!

Thanks guys

bek

Archived