Coopers Community

Espresso coffee in OS Stout?

Snags

Hey guys,

Am just about to put a Stout down, with 250g brown sugar, 1kg brewing sugar (all I have) and I was considering adding some espresso coffee to it.

Has anyone done this, and how much would be decent amount? I was thinking of just adding a double shot through the machine (Sunbeam Cafe series espresso machine), so its already filtered. It would end up being maybe around 100ml of coffee.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Mick.

lots of people have tried adding espresso shots. I have a method in my notes to try which I am yet to do and can't remember now where I got it from.

Make 4 shots of coffee and add the priming sugar to it before bulk priming and bottle

Will try that one next Bill, cheers.

I already put the brew down as follows.

OS Stout

1kg Brewing Sugar

(Steeped for 30 mins with 2 litres boiling water then strained into F.V)

200g Quick Oats

250g Brown Sugar

1/2 cup Cocoa

1/2 cup Ground Arabica Coffee beans

21L water, kit yeast pitched at 23'.

See how it goes I suppose.[pinched]

I have a coffee stout i want to do just been looking for the recipe

here it is and i cant remember where i found it

Ingredients

4# Dark Malt Extract

3# Light Malt Extract

5 oz Dark Malt Extract (for priming)

1# Crystal Malt 90L (Whole Grain, Crushed)

1/8# Roasted Barley (Whole Grain, Crushed)

1/8# Black Patent Malt (Whole Grain, Crushed)

1/4# Chocolate Malt (Whole Grain, Crushed)

2 oz Northern Brewer Hops

.5 oz Willamette Hops

16 shots Fresh Brewed Espresso

Irish Ale liquid Yeast

Heres another

ngredients:

8 lb. Mountmellick stout kit??? i dont know what this is

1/2 cup flaked barley

2 cups Quaker oats

1/2 cup black patent

1/4 cup chocolate malt

1/2 oz. Fuggles (60 min.)

1/2 oz. Fuggles (10 min.)

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate

1/4 lb. ground coffee of choice (Ghiradelli Chocolate Caramel this batch)

Yeast Lab A05 Irish Ale (starter)

sorry about the imperial measurments i havent had a chnace to convert them. I was going to use these 2 recipes as a base and do my thing on them.

16 shots!

Damn, judging by that, I mightn't have put enough in haha.

When are the shots, or in the second one, the ground coffee added?

Should I blast out some more shots and put them in you reakon?

Hope I haven't wrecked it.[pinched] I decided to get experimental spur of the moment. . .[innocent]

Cheers, Mick.

16 shots!

Damn, judging by that, I mightn't have put enough in haha.

When are the shots, or in the second one, the ground coffee added?

Should I blast out some more shots and put them in you reakon?

Hope I haven't wrecked it.[pinched] I decided to get experimental spur of the moment. . .[innocent]

Cheers, Mick.

I was reading an article last night and the guy says he uses it like he would dry hopping another stated he adds whilst racking to a second FV and yet another it went in with his wort.

My intention is to experiment with it over a few stouts until i nail the taste i am after. Will probably add some after i steep the grains and go from there. I find stout very forgiving when adding bit and pieces, but less is often more [rightful]

I'm a bit worried about the quick oats I added now, as after a bit of reading, it says it should have been mashed with another malt.

The wort I poured off was rather 'gooey', so I'm worried now the starchyness will ruin the beer![pinched]

Would adding finings help settle it out?

Cheers.

Hey guys, just an update.

I bottled the brew yesterday, and the sample I tried had a pretty distinct 'vegemity' flavour, that I'm assuming is an infection, or an off flavour due to not preparing the quick oats properly.[pinched]

Basically, I just want to know if this flavour will subside with conditioning or if it's there to stay?

I'm not too familiar with infections, so I'm not sure whether a 'vegemity' flavour indicates an infection. Did you bottle in pet bottles? Just be careful, as if it is an infection then you may get excessive carbonation and bottle bombs. It may however just be an off flavour which may dissapear with conditioning.

Insufficient yeast means a slow start to the ferment which gives the bacteria always present in our homebrew wort time to breed up and put sour off\u2013tastes into the beer. It also means the yeast takes long time to ferment the wort fully and in hot weather that means a vegemite taste in your beer.

I don't know if Vegemite flavor is actually an infection. Why I say this is because I believe that Vegemite is a yeast bi-product of beer fermentation. I reckon it is more likely the way the ingredients were introduced so you are likely to be right when you say it could have been something to do with the way you prepared the oats.

Unfortunately I doubt the vegemite flavor will go now. Albeit I don't really know but this is what I would expect.

Biermoasta, I use 750ml Longnecks, I've never used PET bottles.

And I also only primed with one carb drop per bottle, as I want mellow carbonation.

The flavour was reasonable vegemity up front, quickly followed by a coffee 'bite' and a fair amount of warmth. . . It's hard to explain any further.

It doesn't taste 'bad', just pretty full on, but, it is a Stout!

From what I read though, only steeping the oats (which I did) adds a lot of starch, which can lead to infection, but I'm not sure if that is whats happened?

Ferment temp was higher than I wanted (around 24') but was the best I could achieve in the old fridge with wet towels etc. We had a week of 35 degree days here!

Archived