Coopers Community

Porter Recipe

Snags

Hi guys,

After a weekend drinking a few nice Porters with a mate, I'd like to have a crack at one.

I got the Spring "Beer and Brewer" magazine, and in the homebrewer section in the back was a nice sounding "kit" Porter recipe of the "Walker's Reserve Porter" but the instructions were a bit bland.

The recipe is;

Morgans Ironbark Dark Ale

1.5kg Briess Sparkling Amber Liquid Malt

500g BriessGolden Light Dried Malt

200g Briess Traditional Dark Dried Malt Extract

40g Cascade Hops

30g Medium Toast American Oak Chips

Fermentis S04 yeast

The instructions say "Soak the chips for 15 mins in 1 litre of near boiling water, add both the chips and water when mixing the batch. Boil the hops for 1 minute in 2 litres of water and add when mixing the batch."

Basically I just want to clarify a few things.

1. Can I use a Coopers Dark Ale tin?

2. All the extracts come in 1.5kg tins. . . Do I discard what's left or can it be stored and used later?

3.Do the hops get added to the mix after boiling, or just the strained wort?

4. I was thinking of adding around 250g of rolled or flaked oats, would that work?

5. Would you suggest a different yeast?

Cheers for any replies.

Mick.

Your recipe looks fine and yes i would use a dark ale or the stout kit. A porter is a stout except for the ABV% pretty much.

When i do a porter i combine dark malt with light malt

and keep the alc volume down around 4.5 to 5% other than that you prety much have a stout.

The oak chips i am doing in a robust chocolate stout i am putting together. I will soak them in some Wild Turkey for a fortnight than add them after fermentation is complete. I was going to use 15 to 20g of chips. The chocolate part will be good old milo [joyful]

In a porter i like to use Willamette fuggles and or cascade or goldings Hops or try some Mount Hood hops as you can see theres plenty of room to play with a Porter.

Ok, I was hoping for a higher ABV% than that. Maybe more around 7-7.5% would be nice.

We were drinking the Zywiec Porter, which is 9.5%, and it is just a sensational drop.[love] I'd like to get a couple of nice Porters/Stouts away ready for Winter time.

Mick.

Ok, I was hoping for a higher ABV% than that. Maybe more around 7-7.5% would be nice.

We were drinking the Zywiec Porter, which is 9.5%, and it is just a sensational drop.[love] I'd like to get a couple of nice Porters/Stouts away ready for Winter time.

Mick.

Brew it as hard as you like [happy]

The original Porters were drunk by you guessed it? the River Porters around London. The name stout came from the strong Porter or the Stout Porter, Guinness stout was originaly called "Extra Superior Porter"

They used to tax the beers on alc content so you had the different 60/- porter etc this was not only a sign of the strength of the brew but the tax that had to be paid by ABV.

To brew the Zwyiec style i think you need to get away from the British/Irish styles and do the Polish type of brewing as close as you can.

To brew the Zwyiec style i think you need to get away from the British/Irish styles and do the Polish type of brewing as close as you can.

Would you have a suggestion for getting closer to a Polish Porter?

I really wouldn't know where to start, I just really like the Zywiec Porter, so a reasonably close resemblence would be nice.[biggrin]

Are you familiar with the Zywiec Porter?

Ah' date=' nice. You seem to have rated it rather highly! [biggrin']

So, would you happen to have a recipe that would resemble a Polish Porter more closely than the one I have?

Cheers.

Mick.

ummm no [bandit] not at the moment but working on it..

Ah' date=' nice. You seem to have rated it rather highly! [biggrin']

So, would you happen to have a recipe that would resemble a Polish Porter more closely than the one I have?

Cheers.

Mick.

I am sure I posted the Zywiec Porter on here for you ver recently...?

Yeah you did mate, but I was kinda hoping I could get something close without going grain yet.

I don't have the necessary equipment yet to do mashes, and still am a bit too novice to be trying something that hard.

That's why I asked about this recipe I posted, but the instructions don't make much sense to me.

I have the (Okocim)recipe, and will definately try it in the near future.

Cheers.

Tony, checked your Utube video, thought you might have been the headless man until I checked your other vids. Your heads no rougher than mine, why were you hiding it?

I must say though that I\u2019ve had more hits on my Utube appearance than you, what do yay reckon about that?

All jokes aside it seems that you made your cider from purchased apple juice, did you add any sugar? Did you let it brew right out? I\u2019ve heard that if you brew it out then it\u2019s a bit more like wine. Ive got a mate who makes it in the bottles he buys from the supermarket, I think around 3 L. He uses OZTOPS. He bottles his at around 5 days retaining some bubbles. Which do you reckon is the best time to leave it?

I've also been trying to find a good Porter recipe, if you have one could you please post it?

Warren

Archived