Coopers Community

Southwark Stout clone?

peterw20

This beer is 7.4%ABV [w00t] and perhaps fermented with lager yeast?? [unsure]

I tasted it several years ago and remember it showed coffee/chocolate aromas, slippery mouthfeel with moderate bitterness.

Don't know much more about it than that [whistling

You might get something near the mark with:

1.7kg OS Stout kit

1.5kg TC Amber Malt

300g Roasted Barley

1kg Dextrose

Made to 20 litres and fermented with a lager yeast.

Edit:

Now I've had a sleep on it, perhaps the OS Stout kit will produce too high a bitterness level...

Another option might be:

1.7kg OS Dark Ale beer kit

1.5kg TC Dark Malt

300g Roasted Barley

1kg Dextrose

made to 20 litres and fermented at 15C with a lager yeast. [biggrin]

Your second suggestion looks similar to a Tuocan (Stout/Dark Ale) with the added dextrose to get to 7.4%

Do you really believe it will come anywhere near the taste of a Southwark Stout?

err, no. The second recipe includes a Dark Ale Beer kit and Dark Malt (unhopped malt extract). This is quite different to a Stout/Dark Ale toucan.

I think it will be closer than the first recipe. However, I haven't analysed the commercial version, tasted it recently or fermented the suggested recipes. A bit of guesswork. [biggrin]

This is why I used words like "perhaps", "might" and "don't know much more about it"...

Having said all that, I reckon the second recipe would be worth making. If it doesn't come out like Southwark Old Stout, it should still be a nice brew. [wink]

Thanks for the reply PB2.

I've been drinking both Coopers Best Extra and Southwark stouts for a long as I can remember and both have very distinctive (and different) tastes.

I've also been a K&K brewer for over 20 years, and realise that getting close to any original is an almost impossible task. But I live in hope and still keep trying.

BTW, the best success I ever had was a simple recipe from a now defunct local home brew shop which copied Cascade Premium Lager. The recipe was:

1.7kg Jad's Draught

1 Bodybrew

8g POR (Standard Method)

1 Lager Yeast

The problem is finding a similar can to the Jad's as this product has not been available for a long time.

I used to brew alot of stouts and porters (seems never the same one twice [roll] )before i gave brewing away and i drink mainly Coopers Best Extra and have done for many many years, but anything that has Stout on a pack i am into it. Didnt mind the Cascade Export when i was down touring Tassie last March. Some/all of the recipes above look like they are worth a crack thats for sure.

BTW, the best success I ever had was a simple recipe from a now defunct local home brew shop which copied Cascade Premium Lager. The recipe was:

1.7kg Jad's Draught

1 Bodybrew

8g POR (Standard Method)

1 Lager Yeast

The problem is finding a similar can to the Jad's as this product has not been available for a long time.

Why don't you use the Cascade Premium Lager kit as a base to copy the Cascade Premium Lager?.... just makes more sence to me.

Why don't you use the Cascade Premium Lager kit as a base to copy the Cascade Premium Lager?.... just makes more sence to me.

BTW, I believe Cascade call it the "Cascade Golden Harvest Lager" kit.

For the same reason Coopers Aust Pale Ale kit doesn't approximate to Coopers Pale Ale and Coopers Stout kit recipes on this website don't approximate to Coopers Best Extra Stout. These large brewing companies are not likely to give their "secrets" away, even to homebrewers using their home brewing products.

The recipe was formulated by the Home Brew shop owner by trial and error over time using slight variations that he and his customers made.

Cheers

BTW, I believe Cascade call it the "Cascade Golden Harvest Lager" kit.

For the same reason Coopers Aust Pale Ale kit doesn't approximate to Coopers Pale Ale and Coopers Stout kit recipes on this website don't approximate to Coopers Best Extra Stout. These large brewing companies are not likely to give their "secrets" away, even to homebrewers using their home brewing products.

The recipe was formulated by the Home Brew shop owner by trial and error over time using slight variations that he and his customers made.

Cheers

Yes I believe you are correct. For some reason I was thinking of the Pale Ale kit. Nevertheless, I also understand that the kits are slightly different than the real recipe which is why I said to use it as a "base", especially considering that Jad's Draught is no longer available.

Even though we are now straying OT which I appologize for, looking at my LHBS website they claim a recipe nearing the Premium Lager. This being:

1 can Cascade Golden Harvest Lager

500g Dextrose

500g LDM

500g LME

I haven't tried it and have no idea why they suggest using both LDM and LME but maybe it is something you can tweak to suit your taste.

• 1 month later...

1.7kg OS Dark Ale beer kit

1.5kg TC Dark Malt

300g Roasted Barley

1kg Dextrose

made to 20 litres and fermented at 15C with a lager yeast.

Thought I'd try to keep this post going by asking if anyone has had a go at the PB2 Southward stout clone recipe?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I made the PB2 suggested recipe, and luckily, the weather allowed me to keep the fermentation temps close enough to 15 degC.

Opened one tonight, after 19 days storage, and I'm very impressed.

This is a quality clone, and thanks again PB2.

Cheers

Archived