23L water

20g East Kent Goldings 30mins

15g Fuggles 25mins

25g East Kent Goldings dry hop

1L CSA recultured yeast

184g white sugar bulk primed

OG 1.047 FG 1.012 ABV 5.1%

Hi Warren,

This means 100grams of Crystal malt 20 Lovibond. Lovibond is an older form of colour measurment. It's expressed in "degrees Lovibond". 20Lovibond is relitively light in colour.

The 1min does mean boil the grain for 1 minute. According to greater minds than mine boiling such a small amount of grains for a short time will not impart the harsh tannins. (see Muddy's "Full Nelson Ale" or PB2's "Half Nelson Ale").

This one is a Good Hearty drop. It will be great in time for the cold months to come.

Chad

The 1min does mean boil the grain for 1 minute. According to greater minds than mine boiling such a small amount of grains for a short time will not impart the harsh tannins. (see Muddy's "Full Nelson Ale" or PB2's "Half Nelson Ale").

Chad

There is no boiling grains in either of those recipes Chad. The boil in those recipes are after the grain is taken out.

If you are going to boil your grain, I'll be interested to hear how it comes out. By boiling or even having the temp too far above 170F then tannins will likely be present.

As quoted from "How To Brew"

The water should be no more than 170\xb0F, as husk tannins become more soluble above this temperature, depending on wort pH.

Bill is correct, however, simmering such a small amount of light crystal in water (not wort) wont produce a high PH level and restrict the extraction of tannins.

Any tannins that are extracted will be in such small concentrations to be virtually undetecable.

Saying that, the style can call for some astringency, which tannin causes; being low in hop character I like the balance of the sweet malts with a dry, astringent finish. I use dakr malts and will throw them in when the water has been off the boil for about 10 mins, steep for an hour and aim for that black tea "twang".

@ 5.1% ABV, I would be renaming it to Lil' Ben's BIG Brown Ale [cool]

Hi Bill,

These are the recipes that i did my research from. They both say(unless my eyes are crossed[roll] ) that you can just chuck the grains in for the final minute of the boil without ill effect.

This is what i did for my "Full Nelson Ale" and my Lil' Bens' Brown" and they both seem to be tip top. No harsh tannin tastes.[cool]

Full Nelson Ale

2.5kg LDM

250g Dextrose

100g Crystal Malt

30g Centennial @ 30

20g Nelson Sauvin @ 0

25g Nelson Sauvin @ 3 days

Yeast US-05

21L

OG 1045

FG 1007

Alcohol 5.5%

[love] [love] [love]

Just do a 4L boil with 500g of the LDM and add hops as per recipe. You can steep the grain in a coffee plunger and add it to the boil or just add the grain in the final minute.

Apart from ingredients it is basically the same routine as making PB2's recipe which is linked at the top.

So I had an empty keg and was looking to make a light ale for Christmas day' date=' so the relatives don't get too silly (early) [roll']

I had no time to brew an all-grain and I had no beer kits handy. [pinched]

What to do....decided on using Light Dry Malt....here's the recipe:

1.5kg Light Dry Malt

100g Crystal Malt grain

25g Centennial Hop Pellets (boil)

20g Nelson Sauvin Pellets (flame-out)

25g Nelson Sauvin (dry Hop)

500g of Light Dry Malt brought to the boil in 4 litres of water.

Add centennial hops for 30mins

Add cracked Crystal Malt - grains shouldn't be boiled because of the possible tannin extraction but 100g can't hurt, just 1 minute to pasteurise butnot too much to extract an offensive level of tannins [rightful] [innocent]

Off the boil and add 20g NS hops

Mix with the other 1kg of Light Dry Malt in the FV and bring up to 21 litres.

Ferment close to 20C, I used Mexican Cerveza yeast but any ale yeast that you like could be used. [biggrin]

Dry hop with the remaining 25g Nelson Sauvin Hops pellets.

I dropped this into keg with a couple of left-over PETs.

Tasted a PET today - yeah baby [love] that's 1hr of mixing time well spent - this beer jumps out of the glass with a blend of sweet floral aromatics while the flavour carries through from mouthful to mouthful. Would never pick it as low alcohol and who cares, anyway [joyful]

I don't know. I'm forever learning.[crying]

Chad

Well buggar me, yes, it appears you are correct Chad. They do in fact say the last minute of the boil. I am yet to make these recipes and yes, I am forever learning as well [innocent]

I go back in my box now [pinched]

Archived