Coopers Community

Labby's Pale Ale

Dj labby

Hey this is just a little tweak of my last batch of Pale Ale, and one i think will be my house beer.

My last one was pretty much Coopers Pale Ale kit with 1kg of #2 brew enhancer, with the addition of 15g Cascade for 20, 15g amarillo for 10min boil with an additional 5 at flame out.

This is really flavoursome, but i think, a bit too bitter/acidic.

So had a thought and saw that quite a few people are using crystal malt in just small numbers and Nelson hops, so off to the brew shop.

New recipe.

CPA kit, yeast supplied.

+500g LDM

+800g Dex

150g Crystal malt Steeped for 30min with

10g Cascade

15g Nelson

23L

Remainder dex for carbonation.

Hydro, 1045.

Reckon this might be a nice little brew.

Let me know if it sounds like the right path to go down.

Labby

How long did you leave the brew in primary after FG? How long in the bottles at room temp? I left my OS Draught with malt/hop additions for a 4th week or so in primary,as it was quite bitter. Bulk primed & bottled. 8 days later,it was wonderful. Bulk priming with 3-4 week primary works rather well. But bulk priming seemes to work a bit faster. The bitterness was gone,& all the flavors I brewed into it came out great!

I only just fermented for 7-8 days i think at about 21 deg.

3weeks in bottle so far.

when you bulk prime, do you just mix sugar in water then just add to wort? does it stir up the yeast? i think i need to research more into that.

I agree with Muddy about the Malt and Dex.

If you don't like too much bitterness in your beer then I would just steep the hops for flavour. Or perhaps dry hop.

The APA kit is already bittered and will probably do the job for you if you don't like a lot of bitterness.

Thanks. I ordered cpa kit, 1kg dex, .5kg ldm with a few things from the coopers store. So i just added the lot really.

Yah i think i'm going to get some malt extract next time.

As i wrote in the post, i added the hops when i steeped the crystal malt. Yah i thought the same regarding the bitterness.

I think this one will turn out quite well considering. Just the extra dex will make it a little more potent....

Will see how it goes.

Thanks for the info guys.

I add malt instead of sugar to the cooper's cans I use as a base. I typically use 3lbs (about 1.4kg) of plain DME to the cooper's pre-hopped 1.7kg can. Then a couple types of hops to balance out the extra malt.

I dissolve 1/2 the bag of malt in 2.5G (9.5L) of boiling water. Then do 30g of hops for 20mins,15g of hops for 10mins. Then the last 15g of hops for a ten minute steep with the lid on off the heat.

Then add the cooper's can,stir,chill in ice bath to 70F (21C). Then top off in FV,test,& pitch. This method of hop additions is perfect with aroma/flavor hops (low to medium AA%)that add very little in the way of bitterness. But add great flavors & aromas. No dry hop needed,but always welcome if desired.

So give this way a try,it works quite well,& isn't hard at all.[love]

Archived