what do you guys think this recipe came up with it at work with a mate of mine

1 can coopers euro lager

500gms ldme

500gms dextrose

250gms dried corn syrup

30gms german hallertau mittlefruh hops

23 litres water

pkt yeast

I boiled hops for 20mins in 4ltres water og reading about 1.042 and fg about 1.012 2nd time hopping with different ingredients

I hate the term "Corn Syrup" it is so generic.

Glucose is the liquid form of dextrose (basically, Glucose is anhydrous, dextrose is not. But they are the same base chemical).

The Americans, I believe, use "corn syrup" interchangebly to mean glucose/maltodextrin, as both products are derived from corn syrup.

If "corn syrup" is in liquid form, then it is glucose. If it is dry, it is maltodextrin. The americans will call dry glucose "corn sugar" whether it is derived from corn or not.

Assuming "Corn Sugar" in this instant is Maltodextrin, the recipe looks fine. However, I would suggest bringing the hop boil back to 15 minutes and maybe leaving out the Corn Syrup.

How did it taste with what you done?... remember you brew for your own tastes not neccessarily anyone else's. Whatever you come up with just fine tune it the next time you make the same brew to suit your liking.

Oh ok... your first post I read as past text and just assumed you had already done everything and was ready to try it.

I'd be interested to see how it turns out in a month or two [cool]

Usually:

corn sugar = dextrose (dry)

corn syrup = maltodextrin (dry but sometimes as a syrup)

However, dextrose and maltodextrin are not always derived from corn (maize). [sideways]

We don't really think of them as the same at all. Maltodextrin isn't the same just because it comes from corn,typically. Maltodextrin is a bit more complex,& doesn't ferment out. According to Wikipedia,in part,"maltodextrin is a common adjunct to beer brewing to increase the specific gravity of the final beer product. This improves the mouth feel of the beer & reduces the dryness of the drink. Maltodextrin is not fermented by the yeast & has no flavor.". There is a lot more specific scientific info on the page,but this is the bottom line we understand. Check out homebrewtalk.com,& you'll see just how big some of the egg-heads are on there. I'm just trying to make a whole bunch of good brews with my cooper's stuff & additions,including steeping grains. Here's a link to the page;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

i'll do that next time boil the hops some ldm my third attempt using hops first one was anzac ale 2nd one got given can tooheys special i just dried hopped 3rd is euro lager reading all different recipes and blether helped me out alot and thanks to all guys who suggested different things to me much appreciated

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[happy] had a sample bottle today of the euro experiment very happy with the out come of the beer. Has a full head dark amber color, the hops gives it a nice finishing taste few more weeks and this beer will be ripe to drink [cool]

G'day Allan N.

For research purposes only I opened a bottle of Euro Lager today.

I used BE 2 & 500 gm of LDM. 15 gm Centenial hops went in after

a short boil and 20 gm of Cascades went in dry on day seven.

We bottled on day 14.

It's six weeks old as we speak and a very nice beer indeed.

The ageing process is going to be most difficult with this one!

Don't be afraid to use Cooper's Brew Enhancers as a subsitute for

maltodextrin and dextrose combinations.

When we first started brewing many years ago "off the shelf"

Brew Enhancers were not available so we mixed our own using individual items from our local health food shop. Time consuming and relatively expensive it was never any better than using Cooper's packaged Brew enhancers.

Give them a go next time.

As for the "hoppyness" of your beer give it a month or three.

Good luck.

Archived