Coopers Community

Chocolate Dark

weggl

Pinched the idea from the post on chocolate stout, I figured that the dark was not as bitter as stout, so I used 200g of chocolate topping instead of 300g.

It had me worried for a while because after 13 days in the fermenter it had white stuff floatinn on top, eventually I figured out what it was, it is the thicking agent they put in the topping. I got a steralised sieve and removed most of it and bottled it.

Thiught I\u2019d let you know about this in case one of you decide to use the chock topping.

Taste ok out of the fermenter.

Will let you know in a month the outcome.

OG 51

FG 10

CAN COOP DARK

200g CHOCLOLATE

1KgBREWING SUGAR

250g DME

13g FUGGLES, 5g CHINOOH, 5 g EK/G

BOIL 5 MIN 23L PACKET YEAST

Weggl

Sorry, just reading Weggl's post & had a mental image that seemed pretty funny.

Have tried a couple of Dark Ales lately - Tooheys Old & Carlton Black (sorry, but can't control what other people buy!) Does anyone know how the Dark Ale recipe compares to either of these, given the very different tastes of these two beers?

After reading an old choc-vanilla dark recipe I made up my own, based very loosely on the dark ale recipe that uses the Pale Ale can, DME and raw sugar.

Choc-Vanilla strong ale

Pale Ale can

BE2

1/2 can (750g) Morgan's Roasted Dark Malt extract

150g raw sugar

100g cocoa

1 tablespoon cinnamon

2 vanilla beans, split.

Kit yeast.

Topped up to 22 litres.

It has a nice chocolate and vanilla smell but it's only been bottled two weeks so I'm waiting a while before I taste it.

Don't apologise for the Toohey's Old! IMO the best of the Unholy Trinity (Foster's' date=' Kirin & InBev) and a good example of a brown ale[/quote']

THats right NC, always there to fall back on when travilling with no HB you walk into a pub. THe usual selection of monkeys piss on, no coopers to be seen. MMM and then you see the OLd tap. AHH thank you pub owner.

Archived