Coopers Community

Bavarian Lager

Ollie

G'day guys,

Last Thursday I put down a bavarian lager, it is the first of its kind I have done. I normally only have done ales but I got myself a temperature controlled fridge and wanted to try something a bit different.

Having never done one I am a bit confused on the time it should take to ferment out/stay in the FV. Normally with my ales at about 21oC they take approx. 5 days, then I generally leave them for another 5-7 days then bottle/keg.

Having the fridge set at 12oC and it being in there bubbling away since last thursday, I am pretty sure it is done (my SG reading by tomorrow will tell me). BUT my question is can I leave it in the fridge for a few extra days like i do the ales? This normally gives them a better finish, so will it do the same for my lager?

Thanks in advance fellas! Hope some one can enlighten me with their wisdom [innocent]

Leave it in the fridge the extra days Ollie.

Im really hoping the 120C was a typo [lol] but it will do well to sit in the fridge another couple of days. I have never brewed a lager but what I have heard is that they normally take a little longer then Ales but I guess I will know for sure very soon.

Muddy,

Am I right to assume it will not do any damage to the beer to leave it in there for a little longer as I have done in the past with ales? Heading away next Friday for the Long weekend and will not be back and able to keg until later that week...

Bavarian Lager??[unsure]

Ollie, we haven't produced these beer kits for more than two years.

Hey Paul,

Got it from my local homebrew supplier, Dave's Homebrew in North Sydney NSW. It is from a company called ESB, at least that is what the label said... It was a 3kg can with everyhting in it including the hops...I think their website is www.esb.com.au

He recommended it to me becasue I am a bit of a newbie at the lager and he reckons it produces a killer beer. I guess time will tell though as I was/am a little sceptical as I had never seen this brand before[unsure] ... So to ensure i end up with at least one good brew this month I got a Coopers Pale Ale kit from him as a back up!!! Mothers Milk! I love it![biggrin]

Archived