Coopers Community

Mid Strength Brews

PaulM1111

Hi all, I am currently drinking my 1st crack at a mid strength beer and I have to say how impressed I am at how it came out. I thought it may be watery but it is light, fruity and easy to drink. I used a Blackrock Pils Blonde tin 500g LDM and a mix of cascade, chinook and cluster- oh yeah will do this again.

I am now convinced to give some coopers tins a go at making some mids. I am thinking about the following standard brews and I am keen to get any thoughts on anyone who has done these as mids and what they may come out like (trying to avoid watery!)

Coopers Canadian Blonde

500g BE1

25g Cascade (15g @ 10 mins and 10g Dry hopped)

Tin Yeast

TC Coopers Pilsner

500g LDM

15g Saaz

Tin Yeast

Thoughts??

Cheers and beers

Remember that the Pilsner kit comes with Lagar yeast so should be kept around the 10C - 15C mark (obviously closer to the 10C if possible). That may pose a little issue depending on temperatures as without a brewing fridge I have a hard enough time keeping my brews at 20C

Thanks for the replys.

Just out of interest - I read on the site that the BE1 is a blend of Dextrose and maltodextrin and the Brewing Sugar states the same. What is the main difference between these in terms of split of ingredients? Would 500g of either of these with the tin be about 3.5% if made to 22ltrs?

Thanks

Well,the lager kit I got with my Micro brew kit,& the brewer's sugar it came with is 80% dextrose,& 20% maltodextrin. It was 1kg,if I remember right. When all mixed up in the fermenter (at23L),it measured 1.048 on the hydrometer. At an FG of 1.012,it was 5.3%ABV. The brew I just put down yesterday was 1 can OS lager LME,3lbs plain extra light SDME,15min Kent Golding hop boil in 1 1/4 gallons of water before adding malts. Topped off in fermenter to 23L,added a 1 1/4C starter I made for the Cooper's ale yeast sachet 1st,letting it set while I did the rest. Then just stirred & added to fermenter. The foam is up against the lid now. No volcano yet,...It's a light golden brown color,& smells great. Gunna dry hop with 30g Willamette hops. Hope that gives some insights.This one shouldn't be above 5%ABV...

Just out of interest - I read on the site that the BE1 is a blend of Dextrose and maltodextrin and the Brewing Sugar states the same. What is the main difference between these in terms of split of ingredients?

Paul here is and ingredient list of Coopers (dry) brewing products:

Dextrose - 100% Dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% Dextrose + 20% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

Light Dry Malt \u2013 100% Light Dry Malt

• 1 month later...

My old man enjoys a beer, and loves black beer. He's been a bit crook lately, so to make sure he can have a good beer and not loose his head, I brewed a batch of Coopers dark ale and 500gms LDM and bottled it yesterday. What a great beer. Can't wait for this to carb up and crack a few with the old fella! I might do another for him soon, but use dark malt and not so much to bring the ABV down a bit further still.

Archived