Coopers Community

James Squire Golden Ale

Matty A

Hi Guys,

I was just down the road at a local pub and they had James Squire's Golden Ale on tap so I thought I would have a go at it. What a nice beer, the only problem was they where charging $6.50 a beer.

I guess my main question is how hard would it be to make something similar.

Thanks Muddy,

It looks promising although I am not sure how to dry hop.

I understand I need to boil the hops for 15 minutes and some for 5 minutes before I toss them into the fermenter but is dry hopping just tossing them in with no boiling.

Also are they all tossed in at the start when I mix all of the ingredients.

Like Steve said you just add the hops dry after a few days once krausen has subsided. Some people just toss them in but it prefer to put them in a bag, piece of stocking, muslin or a clean chux straight from the pack. At the moment use a stcok bag for soups that I bought in Thai Town in Sydney for about $1. It is just a pull string bag used to add herbs and the like to soup stocks. I boil it to sterilise the cloth and then add the hops and toss it in.

The PB2 method is to use a chux wipe straight from the pack (so you know it is clean), add the hops and tie the corners of the wipe to form a neat little bundle which you toss into your wort.

Look at THESE PHOTOS of the chux method.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm, I really liked the taste of the last one that I had put down except this one has a big difference (accidentally).

I was putting the cans of extract in and I forgot to measure out the caramalt and put the whole can (1.5kg) into the brew [pinched]. Any idea what this mess may taste like, I stll have my hopes up but was wondering on what you guys think.

Smells absolutely stunning. It is also only giving me a reading of 1045 which isnt true as the last one gave me a reading of 1042 and it didn't have all that malt. Any idea what that should be around as well.

• 2 months later...
Hmm, I really liked the taste of the last one that I had put down except this one has a big difference (accidentally).

I was putting the cans of extract in and I forgot to measure out the caramalt and put the whole can (1.5kg) into the brew [pinched]. Any idea what this mess may taste like, I stll have my hopes up but was wondering on what you guys think.

Smells absolutely stunning. It is also only giving me a reading of 1045 which isnt true as the last one gave me a reading of 1042 and it didn't have all that malt. Any idea what that should be around as well.

Hey Matty - How did this turn out? I am drinking several beers made along these lines at the moment, though none are made exactly to any of the recipes. Loving the amarillo and the nelson sauvin hops used in them!

Archived