Coopers Community

Honey Wheat

GeorgeB

In late July, I made up a honey wheat beer using the Thomas Coopers Selection wheat beer tin and two US pounds [about a kilo] of store-bought, everyday honey. Nothing else, just mixed it up the usual way to 23 litres and used the kit yeast. Bottled about two weeks ago, bulk primed with 180g of dextrose. Tried the first one after one week - the honey was very prevelant. Cracked number two [oh, OK, and numbers three and four] while watching football [uS, not Aussie Footy [biggrin] ] at two weeks. The honey is still very much there, but blending nicely with the wheat beer. I'm pretty enthused about this simple brew. Will probably reach it's best in a couple more weeks, at which time I will know better if this one needs any tweaking, like more hops or a differant yeast. Stay tuned! [cool]

Hey George,

I'm impressed you're converting units for us!!! I can understand your post!!!

What is store bought honey in America? In Oz it's usually Eucalyptus based honey (which apparently is pretty ordinary to brew with).

I'm interested in how it turns out and if it will last your footy season! [lol]

I would think the our run-of-the-mill store bought honey is basically just clover honey. As for lasting the whole football season, that would be until early February! [innocent]

As for converting units, I have a very good friend who lives in Brisbane, and we found out some time ago that if we don't convert for each other, we can't figure out what the other is saying!! [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Just some thoughts now that this one is in the bottle for about a month - next time I'll throw in some maltodextrine for body. It's a bit thin. Still undecided if I want to add some hops or not - I don't want to cover up the honey.

Archived