Coopers Community

Shelf Life of Home Brews?

c42289

Just a quick query to the brew veterans out there..... What is the ideal storage conditions for beer (assuming it doesn't get fully consumed before the next batch is ready)? And given ideal storage conditions what is the shelf life for beer? and does it vary by beer type?

Currently overseas and my son reports some of the beer is off..... the drop in question had New Zealand Honey added to it....

Appreciate your comments.

rg

Toby Andreassen

Hi Toby,

It varies, but in general the higher the alcohol content and hopping rates, the longer it lasts (e.g. IPAs were a style of beer that were designed to last) The other, probably more signficant, factors are infection and oxidation, which boils down to cleanliness and technique.

Ideal storage conditions? For an ale, I would suggest ~17-18 degrees, and in the dark. For lagers, again in the dark, and lower temperatures, maybe around 10. In practice, keep em dark and as cool as possible.

I'll bet however, there's nothing really wrong with your beer and your son is covering his tracks :-)

Tony

Toby

Hi! to be honest the ideal temp to store beer is the temp in your gut! but seriously Ive only been making beer for 19 years and the making process has changed so much that in those early days beer would only last 2-3 months, now with the new Coopers range of products and the better additives and yeasts, ive got beer behind my bar that is 11 monts old, tried one last Sat and it was still brilliant. but that was a dark ale and yes different beers made with different additives will last different lenghts of time. mostly pale ales made with sugar last 4-5 months pos 6-7 in cooler areas, malt additives to these beers last 6-12 months depending on the temperature

hope this helps somehow Dick!

Hi Toby,

It varies, but in general the higher the alcohol content and hopping rates, the longer it lasts (e.g. IPAs were a style of beer that were designed to last) The other, probably more signficant, factors are infection and oxidation, which boils down to cleanliness and technique.

Ideal storage conditions? For an ale, I would suggest ~17-18 degrees, and in the dark. For lagers, again in the dark, and lower temperatures, maybe around 10. In practice, keep em dark and as cool as possible.

I'll bet however, there's nothing really wrong with your beer and your son is covering his tracks :-)

Tony appreciate your comments and will add those to my brewing 'book of tricks'.

Toby

Hi Toby,

Tony appreciate your comments and will add those to my brewing 'book of tricks'.

Toby

Tony & Dick, thank you both for your helpful comments above and will add those to my existing brewing notes for my return to Sydney one day......

rg

Toby

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive had home brew last 5 years in a hot shed.

Both Coopers real ale and Coopers stout , both had one and half times the recommeneded sugar to give it a kick, both in glass longies.

Stored in the dark in a hot shed.

5 years later, the few I had overlooked (you'd never deliberately keep em that long!) were abso-bloody-lutley marvellous.

A few notes on aging beer are at

http://www.cooperspubs.com/aging.htm

Moving to Qld over a year ago from the home of beer in Australia (Adelaide), I recently found the remnants of two brews, a pale ale and a draught, both brewed with malt (no sugers execpt to bulk prime) that were over three years old - a little sceptical as to their quality, two days in the fridge then the taste test - sensational. They were great, the lads loved them and the next day I had a spare 17 home brew bottles.

From my notes - can't see any special treatment, they were in a box (as transported) in my brewing cupboard!

Archived