Coopers Community

Making a Dark Lager Using Coopers Can kits

LucasM

How do I make a dark lager using Coopers can kits. Is it possible to put the Euro Lager with the Dark Ale and use the lager yeast from the Euro. Or use the Dark Ale and the lager yeast with another kit. I recently had a dark lager in brewery in Fox Studios (I think it's Lowenbrau, I can't remember) it was fantastic. I am pretty keen to make some while the weather is cold.

Thanks

Lucas

Hi,

I did this as an experiment with a short dated Dark Ale kit I had, during winter here on the Isle of Man I had the ambient tempratures to ferment using a genuine lager yeast...

For what its worth heres what I did:

1 Can Coopers Dark Ale Kit

500g Light Dried Malt Extract

500g Brew Sugar ( Dextrose, Malto dextrin)

I made the above upto a brewlength of 24 litres and pitched the slurry from a previous lager brew (Coopers Original Lager) together with a fresh packet of S-23 at 18C

Once there was signs of fermentation I allowed the tempraure to drop to 12-14C.

Fermentation took 18 days to reach a FG of 1008 then I bottled it. Ten weeks later its drinking well. Maybe more complex (Coffee/chocolate) than a genuine Dunkel from Germany but a pretty fair approximation from a shaort dated kit I had knocking around.

:)

Hi Paul,

Well spotted!

I didn't mention that the Origianl Series Lager was made up with 50:50 Light Dried Malt and Sugar and I Pitched two packs of S-23.

When I made the dark lager I collected and and repitched the best bits of the slurry plus and additional pack of S-23 (also short dated) I really should check the dates on kit when shopping! lol

Cheers

Guy

Hi,

I did this as an experiment with a short dated Dark Ale kit I had, during winter here on the Isle of Man

How's the bike races going? My dream sporting event to attend before I cark it.... Been watching every night on the sport channel.

Hi Luke!

Yeah racing being going well so far this week, despite poor weather yesterday. Ian Hutchinson is running away with it!

Just the Senior tomorrow and all done for another year.

Sadly that danger of the event was highlighted today when an incident claimed the life of Paul Dobbs - a popular rider here, originaly from New Zealand but had made the island his home.

I ride myself but an no racer, certainly not on these roads! But its nice to go for a few laps on a summers evening :)

Cheers!

Guy

Archived