Coopers Community

Irish Ale

Trusty1

G'day

has anyone brewed the Irish Ale found here: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/ale/irish-ale ???

I have brewed an Unreal Ale and a Coopers Original Draught (witha bit of a twist) and thought both were good, this sounds interesting, and I like (in no particular order):

golden syrup

beer

the Irish

Irish beer

Making beer

Drinking beer

Beer

Talking about beer

Beer.

Thanks

Did I mention I like Beer?

This one is definately worth a go Trusty. I made it 2/3 brews ago and was very impressed. Managed to keep the temp down while fermenting, left it 2/3 days extra in the fermenter to clear and I really noticed the difference compared to my other brews. Clear, crisp taste, good copper colour, mine didn't have much head retention and there was a mild golden syrup taste and after taste. Can't wait to taste my Unreal Ale with honey addition.

So you like beer hey? Would never have guessed!

Martyn.

Thanks fellas, might have to give it a go!

With the onset of the cold weather, I have found my brewing temp is a constant 18oC, will this be too low for this brew, it calls for 20oC? Or does it mean it will just take a day or two (or three) longer for primary fermentation? My SMOTY has been down for 16 days now and SG is still dropping slowly. Currently at the 1011.5ish mark. Plus I have to find time to do a final wash and sterilisation of the bottles!

GTown gets very hot in summer, but as an example of the current cool snap, there was a decent frost this morning, around -1 and getting cooler. THe 18oC refers to temp of the fermenter, given the passive heating I have in brew house (also known as the garage), which is extremely well insulated, plus I have my tub on a 50mm thick piece of kitchen timber benchtop offcut, next to the fridge (which gives off heat) and in the vacinity of the heating unit for the central heater, along with the cardboard box it came in over the top. Given all this, including the heat of summer, temp in the brew house is pretty stable between 17-21.

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but same topic...

I started an Irish Ale today with;

Coopers new DIY FV kit

Can of Coopers Draught

Yeast from can

1kg BE1

300g golden (corn)syrup

Topped up to 21L water

Temp of 20C

Local supermarket sells syrup in 400g and 500g bottles. I got 400g. Not wanting to waste anything (or fill the cupboard with nearly empty bottles), I was tempted to chuck in the other 100g of syrup... but I'm a complete novice at brewing.

2 questions;

What would the extra 100g syrup do if I had thrown it in?

Do I add it randomly to the next batch, or are there some pros and cons with different beer types?

Cheers.[unsure]

Well to be honest i havent done this recepie yet but was thinking of it soon and wasnt sure what amounts i could buy. But if i had to buy a 500 gram minum was going to use it all. If anything being compacted sweetened natural sugars would just add more of a dry taste in end but dont quote meas havent done it and golden syrup is sweet who knows try it.[biggrin]

Thanks Sir J.M.

I've never really understood the idea of 'dry' but seems to me like the opposite of sweet? And dry often means a bit more ABV as compared to a sweet cider, say.

There's been no posts of 'don't do it' so I will see that as a green light to give it a go next time. At least with this standard recipe I will have something to compare if I decide to experiment later. Of course, the recipe might be perfect as it is! Cheers.

Hey Trusty let me know how it comes out and what ABV what was the OG reading?

I had the same thought of trying it both ways the reason i was going to just add whatever i got ahold of is because i know it wont get eaten but then agiain it preserves well so ill have to wait and see.

Archived