Coopers Community

John Smith's Extra Smooth

Trusty1

Hi everyone (especially PB2)

I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe to replicate (even closely) a John Smith's Extra Smooth? I would love to recreate a JSES, as I enjoyed it a lot (and a lot of it) when over in the Old Dart a few years back.

I have a Coopers English Bitter waiting to be brewed! (assuming this is the base kit to start with) Is the Extra smooth English Bitter recipe where I should be starting? I have read that JSES is a typical English Pale Ale?

The other beer I would like to try and recreate is a Beamish Black. Has anyone tried the BB? From memory it is brewed in County Cork, Ireland. I had a few sessions on it and thought it better than Guinness!

Thanks

T

So I guess I answered my own question with the extra smooth, (althought the pale ale has still got me thinking, maybe a toucan mix - somehow, maybe with the english bitter and pale ale kits and molasses as well) and no-one knows of the Beamish Black....

I think the answer is 7.....no just kidding, having just looked at the Extra Smooth Bitter recipe in the 'how to' section, I think I will follow the guru's prophetic advice contained herewith (on the forum somewhere) and make this recipe as directed, than maybe tweak it if necessary, to the toucan mentioned above.

Tasted Beamish Red and Black years ago, prior to working with Coopers. Liked the Red but not overly excited about the Black.

I remember the Black to be a slightly thinner version of Murphy's Irish Stout but the memory is dim on this one...will look for the 440ml can next time I'm at the bottlo.

I think thats probably a fair summation, my fond memories of it are perhaps clouded a bit by sentimentality, it is brewed close by my ancestors extremely isolated hometown in Co. Cork. Plus the first time I tasted it was in a small pub in a town whose name I can't remember, but the pub was fitted out for the local Gaelic football final and was full, and we joined the celebrations.

Another reason my memroies might be a bit clouded, it got me drunk...

Archived