Coopers Community

A stout stout

Richo

Hiya All

On Saturday 4th June I brewed a stout using a stout kit, 1kg light malt, 0.5kg dark malt plus 0.5kg maltodextrin, chucked in the kit yeast plus an extra yeast (unknown variety) the bloke in the homebrew shop gave me. IG was about 1064 (!)

It was very active on Sunday arvo but very sluggish by Monday arvo and virtually comatose by Tuesday, when it read 1032. Today (Wed) it reads 1030.

It seems like it's finished fermenting which is record time given that I've kept it between 18 and 22 degrees. Anyone got any ideas why it was so fast? Should I bottle it? (It tastes pretty good to be honest).

Also another query - since I'm going to store some of this one for a year or two (in glass) is it better to stand the bottles upright or lay them down?

Thanks for your help.

PS: Excellent work on these message boards, Paul from Coopers, it's the best marketing a brand can have - great customer support!

Does anyone suggest maximum and minimum temperature ranges for longer term storage of beer. I guess 0 degrees is a no-no :shock: ...but my garage does get pretty cold.

Richo,

If you began with 1064, I'd be aiming for somewhere in the high teens or even around 1020 as a FG. Some people believe rousing (giving the beer a gentle stir with a sterilised spoon) can help the yeast back into action.

From what I've read, the yeast supplied with Cooper's kits should be able to ferment a beer of OG 1064. Paul ... ?

As for storing, keep them upright in the coolest part of the house. Make sure it's dry, too, as you don't want caps (assuming you're using glass and capping with steel caps) rusting.

The yeast supplied with Original Series will cope with OGs (original gravity) of the magnitude - 1064, providing there is a reasonable amount of simple sugar (sucrose or dextrose).

At 1030, I think your brew has further to go?? The yeast is working on complex sugars (maltotriose, polysaccharides) - a tough job requiring time and temperature - this brew may take as many days as 14 to reach FG. You could rouse it as Oliver suggests. There is some danger of oxidising the brew or introducing an infection...could be worth the risk though? You could add some enzyme (available from Home Brew Shops) then give it 4 or so more days.

Note: The 500g of maltodextrin by itself could give you an FG of 1020.

I think there is no requirement for maltodextrin if you are planning to ferment an all malt brew.

Has it reached FG? If you are kegging off or using PET bottles there is no problem because you can check the gas levels after a week and release pressure as required.

You may need a knife and fork when consuming this brew!!

I agree with Oliver on the rouse the yeast suggestion, but I suggest just giving the bucket t a shake/swirl rather than taking the lid off. Reduce chances of infection or oxidation as the fermenter remains sealed. Has worked for me in the past to get the gravity down to a reasonable FG.

Cheers,

Greg.

Ok, I've given it a swirl about, and also cranked up the temperature a bit (from 19 to 24) just to see if those little buggers have dropped off to sleep. I'll see how we're going after the long weekend.

What if they've run out of sugars then? Is it worth adding some extra simple sugars eg sucrose or dextrose?

PS: I said it was a stout stout :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, ditto that Bratwurst! Maybe it was that good that he's run off and patented it!

When I first read the description, my thoughts on the high fg was the maltodextrin.. 0.5kg is quite a lot, and isnt that fermentable. You could've always tossed in some more yeast to help out a touch more.

Excellent! Its so good I've forced myself to only drink one per month just to see how it matures. A real special occasion beer. Blacker than the inside of a cow and thick enough to stand a spoon in (well not really), and a head that just keeps going.

The addition of the sugar halfway through did virtually nothing. I think the maltodextrin was responsible for the high FG. Probably next time I'll use none and see how that goes by comparison.

Archived