Coopers Community

Dead brew?

hugo-nort

Greetings all

I, for my second attempt at brewing, tried Coopers Australian Bitter. It bubbled a little for three days and then virtually stopped. Brewing temp was around 24degrees and I used a mixture af malt and dextrose. The sg at start was 1.043 and now it is about 1.011. It asn't done anything (bubbled) for three 3 days and whn I take a bit out it is still cloudy.

Is it dead, can I put more yeast in or throw the lot out?

HELP

Be patient. Even though your beer may not appear to be doing anything, chances are it is going along just fine.

The fermentation time can vary depending on weather conditions, temperature, etc, but mine takes between 6 - 8 days. When you get 2 gravity readings the same 2 days in a row, it is then time to bottle.

Sounds like it's finished to me, 1011 is a good finish for a brew that's made with extra malt rather than just a kilo of sugar, and sometimes things will finish up in 3 days or even less.

I'd say leave it for a couple days till it clears up a bit more, then rock & roll.

If it's cloudy, it probably means the yeast is still awake and in suspension. Leaving it a few days or fining it would help it settle, but bear in mind if you bottle while cloudy you'll have extra sediment in the bottom of the bottle once it does clear. But, if that doesn't bother you then it's not a problem at all.

Archived