Coopers Community

Oak fermentation for Beer

reedycreek

It's true what they say, that Coopers is the winemakers beer as I am a winemaker who has just recently thrown my hat in the Homebrewing ring. So far everything seems to be going peachy.

I'm keen to do a batch in oak but the smallest barrels we have are 300L and they're pretty much just for wine. Can I use oak chips in the ferment and at what rate should I try. I'm guessing it would be similar to a white wine rate of 1 - 2 grams per litre. I'm thinking french oak chips would be best for beer. Anybody got any idea if this will work or if it's a good or bad idea???

Sounds like it will develop some nice characters in a brew then. I was guessing that it would and oak chips are so cheap nowadays. If anyone wants to get hold of some oakchips I can refer you to a great site that has both American and French oak chips for about $18 a kg. Pretty cheap when you consider your only going to use 20 - 50g per 23L ferementer. I'll whack up a batch of Sparkiling and Australian Pale Ale with some French oak chips, should bring through some great falvours on the palate.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Nick

I have tasted a couple of beers with oak treatment and wasn't impressed with either of them - from memory - one was a Strong Suffolk Ale and the other was a Special Fete Ale from Lawrence Victor (Coonawarra).

If you are intent on experimenting with oak chips - less is best - it may be worth trying it with higher alcohol ales >6%A/Vol. I doubt that you will get favourable results with ales around the alcohol content of Pale Ale (4.5%A/Vol).

I did a Google search and found, among other things, this from www.cellar-homebrew.com/indiapaleale.htm

Some degree of controversy exists over the use of oak in brewing traditional IPAs. The notion of IPA journeying for many moons around the Cape of Good Hope to India, all the while sealed up in oak barrels, suggest to many that oak flavor and tannins must play a part in historical interpretations of the style.

Opponents argue from several sides, but generally propose that oak flavor, if any, would have been at an absolute minimum. The reasons are that the barrels, re-used over and over again just like modern day kegs, could not possibly have had many of their flavor compounds left to impart. Secondly, as any winemaker or cask-conditioning expert might tell you, European oak has a much more subdued, subtle flavor than American Oak. The harsh tannins and vanilla notes of American oak have no place alongside the sweetly aromatic spiciness of the classic English hops.

Further, they recommend that if you can't get English oak to use French oak instead.

I'd concur with making it a stronger beer and not using american oak. I also think oak chips would be the more sensible approach.

I may be wrong here, but doesn't storing beer in wood increase the risk of infection thanks to lactic acid bacteria's liking for living in wood?

Archived