Coopers Community

26L of 1060 wort...more than 1 pack of S-04?

Khellendros13

Mr Malty suggests 16g dry yeast for this and you have pitched 11.5-12g yeast. So according to those calcs you have underpitched.

It is really up to you whether you want to run with it or pitch some more.

My preference is to pitch the correct amount of yeast, so I would pitch some more even if it was half a packet of kit yeast.

Mr Malty suggests 16g dry yeast for this and you have pitched 11.5-12g yeast. So according to those calcs you have underpitched.

It is really up to you whether you want to run with it or pitch some more.

My preference is to pitch the correct amount of yeast, so I would pitch some more even if it was half a packet of kit yeast.

Ok thanks. I do have a pack in the fridge of kit yeast..but just as happy to take a walk to pick up some S-04. Would pitching the whole pack of S-04 have any negative influence, or that amount of over pitching will just settle out?

As of 18hrs after pitching, trying to get it down to 19c

20130603_0813041_zpsb71e5745.jpg

I don't know too much about over-pitching or how much is required to over-pitch.

I have read that over-pitching can lead to reduced esters. That's about the extent of my knowledge (and I still may be wrong) [biggrin]

Anyway, I have a feeling that it may require more than a few extra grams of yeast to over-pitch significantly and I would rather slightly over-pitch than under-pitch.

And the yeast will still settle out.

Someone else around here may be able to offer something more helpful.

I don't know too much about over-pitching or how much is required to over-pitch.

I have read that over-pitching can lead to reduced esters. That's about the extent of my knowledge (and I still may be wrong) [biggrin]

Anyway, I have a feeling that it may require more than a few extra grams of yeast to over-pitch significantly and I would rather slightly over-pitch than under-pitch.

And the yeast will still settle out.

Someone else around here may be able to offer something more helpful.

Yea should be ok.

Man I hate going to Cellar Plus...$6.50 for a pack of S-04 and min $15 eftpos... asked for 2 S-04 and 1 S-05 to meet the min eftpos...no S-05 so just got 3x S-04.

Looks like I will be making this Porter again or something similar :)

Do you use starters Hairy? I should probably start using them I guess.

Do you use starters Hairy?

Only on the odd occassion that I use liquid yeast. I rehydrate dry yeast but don't make a starter.

And I haven't got into yeast rinsing etc yet. One day [innocent]

I ended up with 26L when making my Porter, after I added some boiled kit yeast as a nutrient. I pitched 1 pack of S-04, dry. 1060 gravity.

Should I get another pack and throw in tonight?

According to my trusty reference book, for a brew with a gravity of 1060 you would probably need a bit more yeast than a lower gravity brew.

How much; not exactly sure, but since you're more than likely going to buy your yeast from a LHBS, I'd suggest you tell them your dilemma, and they should put you right.

Overpitching will reduce your esters, but under-pithing will mean you won't ferment your brew correctly, so if possible you want to get your pitching quantity as close to optimal as possible.

You also need to consider that yeast needs more than just sugar, so you need to make sure your ingredient ratios are right, but that's worthy of a whole other thread, and I'm sure some of the tables and formulas others would have can help with this.

As Hairy said, probably better to over than under pitch, as the yeast will do its job then settle out.

The info in my book is a bit too technical for me to quite wrap my head around, but basically it says that lower temps and higher gravity can mean you are better using more yeast; so it's just more variables you need to consider when making a brew.

The more you vary from K&K the more variables you need to consider with your brew, which is why I always like to change things a little at a time, rather than overwhelm myself going into unfamiliar territory.

Hope that helps, and if it doesn't that it doesn't confuse!

Cheers.[happy]

According to my trusty reference book, for a brew with a gravity of 1060 you would probably need a bit more yeast than a lower gravity brew.

How much; not exactly sure

Approximately 16g in total - post #2

Archived