Coopers Community

OTHER BRANDS

Kip

I have also done a Cascade pale but don't think much of it.

I would recommend a faster acting yeast than the Cascade one as it can take up to 36 hours to get going. I don't really like the idea of my wort sitting for so long while the yeast gets itself going.

My housemate bought one last night, and i read that it took a while to get going in their information. I really have to wonder why they do that with home brew. The yeast is probably well suited to the style they're aiming for, and probably has some real benefits, but its so risky leaving a nice juicy wort sitting there for a couple of days without vigorous fermentation. Sure the yeast are happily dividing, but to have such slow cell cycle times leaves the wort open to infection from other bugs with faster growth cycles (ie. pretty much every bacteria you can find in a regular house). If I was to do it, I'd probably try to prime the yeast first - even for 24 hours or more, to get them high enough in number before pitching, to reduce that growth lag phase (if you really want to use the cascade yeast). Otherwise go with the coopers yeast, those little blighters are hungry and get going damn fast!

I'm doing an MSB summer wheat beer right now, its a 11.5 litre brew and has no added sugars for fermentation - but it had a massive yeast sachet in it! Its been brewing hard for 5 days now, at a fairly constant 24 degrees, and with a 1.050 OG, normally with a coopers kit that I'd dosed up to 1.050 it'd be slowing right down about now. This one seems a longer brewer. :)

I love homebrewing!

:D :D :D

Yep, I agree with Kieren. The thought of a wort sitting there while the yeast gets going is a little worrying. BigAl, I agree also with your statement about Coopers yeasts. It certainly doesn't take long for them to get going and once they do, look out.

I just did a Coopers Larger with an extra 500gms of honey for a test and it was lively to say the least. The yeast was going totally crazy. You could actually hear the fermenter fizzing when you entered the room. Its going to be an xmas brew. Appears to be around 7.5%. No driving home after this one. :-)

I suppose the next question could be, "What effect does a 'fast' or 'slow' yeast have on a brew, and how much effect does yeast type have on the end taste ? "

Maybe I'll post this as a separate thread. Hmmm.

gary

Have you tried the Thomas Coopers Bremwaster Selection WHEAT BEER yet Kieren?

Gary, you have asked the same question in two different threads. Stop messing with my head man! Seriously though, I'll post a reply to your questions on the other thread.

Archived