Coopers Community

lactobacillus Australian Pale Ale

NickS10

has anyone discussed this issue of lactobacillus. Currently attempting the Coopers Pale Ale, 4 days into fermenting it tastes great however lactobacillus may have infected the brew, I noticed on top a few glossy medium sized bubbles, dosn't seem to be taking over the brew unlike other ones that i have done. Will this potentially ruin this nice tasting ale, just out of curiosity or is this quiet normal. no sour taste as yet and very drinkable. im probably stressing over nothing lol

It could be nothing, it's really just a waiting game. And if you wait a really long time you may have a nice sour on your hands.

Have you had this happen a few times before (unintentionally)? If so, how dd you clean the FV? If it keeps recurring I would get a new FV.

Probably every 6 months but I have a 'mother' batch that has just reached its 2 year birthday sat in a bedroom cupboard in a 60L fermenter...shes currently sat on some sour cherries and a year ago she ate a pineapple :)

I use this batch to inocculate my other sours as she has a healthy dose of Brett culture and is sour as all hell, I often pour my self an egg cup sample.

As far as temps is concerned, I ferment for 5 days as usual then the beer is racked onto the yeast or like I said above I would rack onto a litre or so of my 'mother' batch inside my spare bedroom cupboard, temperature is not really and issue with a PLambic which means you can keep your 'dirty' beer well away from your normal brewing practises.

I would advise agaist having Brett, Pedio or Lacto anywhere near your other gear though I have seen other peaople brew them side by side

Archived